Replacing Headlight Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 AM
GC
1st Gear Member
Default Replacing Headlight Bulb

I just received my new headlight (Sylvania Silverstar) and was wondering if someone could walk me through changing out the bulb. I was really surprised that the owners manual didn't show any info on this but go figure! What I really want to know is what needs removing from the bike to get at the socket. It appears that the instrument cluster and/or windscreen are in the way.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Replacing Headlight Bulb

If it's anything like my 250R, (and I bet it is) you'll want to remove the upper fairing to make it easier to get at.
If you can reach the headlamp socket as-is, there should be a rubber boot covering the backside. Remove that, and you'll see a metal clip keeping the headlamp base in place. (there will also be a plug harness you need to unplug.) After you depress the clip and remove it, the headlamp should come right out. When you replace the old bulb with the new one, make sure never to touch the glass part of the bulb. (only handle the base.)

I don't know what your experience is with bikes, but if you have never removed your fairings before, don't worry too much about it. It's very quick and easy to do.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Simply remove the windscreen (8 screws), the cluster panel retainer (3 screws) & the cluster panel itself (2 screws) and sort of set it aside to the left. First make sure you have the ignition set to OFF, and DON'T touch the bulb's glass housing...now remove the electrical plug at the rear of the bulb, remove the rubber boot and you will see the bulb. It has a little wire type clip that clips around the upper most portion of the bulb's back and goes down to where it is seated in a slot. At the end of this clip there's a portion you can grab onto, lift it out of the retaining slot. This will loosen the bulb and you can now remove it. Reverse proceedure to reassemble...Check that the bulb actually works, and make sure your adjustments are set right as these bulbs do tend to cause the cagers to flash you alot....well most everyone actually.

I just replaced mine a couple days ago....you can do it without removing all the parts I mentioned, but why not just remove them...you'll save yourself a bit of.....f**k, s**t...etc..etc.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
GC
1st Gear Member

Thanks for both responses. Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll go ahead and remove the windscreen and instrument panel.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Removing that stuff is great if you want to detail your bike and inspect everything, but you can just reach up under the fairing and do it.
The plastic socket/cap is perhaps the hardest part of the operation (regardless of whether you have the fairing removed or not), but you can usually get it by pulling it directly back with a slight rocking motion.
Then pluck the rubber boot, which will expose the bulb-mount assembly with the bulb held in place by a thin wire clip.
You don't have to loosen the phillips screw holding the wire clip in place, just press the little bended lever at the side opposite the screw and it will let you remove the bulb.
Take a quick look at the bulb before pulling it out, so you'll know exactly how the replacement should go in there.
Then it's simply a matter of sliding the new bulb in, locking it in place with the wire clip, reinserting the rubber boot (press it down securely in the center, so that the lips seal around the metal shaft of the new bulb) and reinstall the socket/cap securely onto the exposed prongs at the back of the mounted bulb.

After you've done it once with the fairing off, you'll know just how to do it with everything left on.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-CCinC

Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 PM
GC
1st Gear Member

I got the headlight bulbinstalled today. That plug was a real pain in the *** to remove.
Since the headlight is the same wattage and type, I don't need to re-aim it do I?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:09 AM

I totally agree with your quote at the bottom-I think alot of people see me that way also

funny thing about it is, Im the happy one enjoying everyday-you'd think they would figure out I must be doing something right

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM

Hey Jamie, or anyone else for that matter... was the stock bulb pretty dim? I do a lot of evening/night riding and I wish I could get a better/brighter bulb that would give me an extra 50 feet or more depth. In Michigan, I won't be riding mine for a while so I thought I might as well pick her apart and make all my changes now before I get that first nice day. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

Well I don't know about another 50 feet......but I think I'm getting another 15 or so pretty easy with the Silverstar. Also its a much whiter color which means the quality of what you see is better.... i.e. its a step closer to natural light. It's definitely not HID but its good illumination and its not one of those stupid blue colored bulbs that actually diminish your visibility.

If you do some searching around on the web, I think you'll find most folks are pretty happy with them. I picked mine up for around $13 on Ebay (including shipping) so you can't go wrong for the price.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 AM

I guess an extra 15 foot is fine if the clarity of everything between where the light fades away and the headlight is clear. I'll look for the silverstar... about how long did it take to install it? ballpark? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Replacing Headlight Bulb