Radiator Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Radiator Overheat

Hi,

I have a ninja 500R 2003

I noticed lately that my radiator was overheating when I'm stopping at red light or a too long time with the motor running. I noticed that the fan never start anymore...I tested it and I put a "jumper" instead of the thermoswitch and the fan started. I looked the fuse and it's fine. I choose to change the thermoswitch...it's what I did last week-end but no luck it's still overheating. What can be the problem? Do I just scrap 50$ for the switch for nothing? I tried to test the old thermoswitch with a multimeter and a pan of water like in the manual Clymer but the multimeter didn't detect any resistance in the switch...

Help me please! I want to ride my motorcycle again!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Radiator Overheat

Hey Mel.
Sorry to hear of the problem. Some questions:

~What evidence do you have that it's OVERheating?
~Is the temperature gauge working?
~Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator? (If the level is too low, the hot coolant can't reach the temperature sensor/fan-switch sensor.)
Good luck and let us know on those questions.
Peace!
-Chris in C'bad

Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

It's overheating because the fan never start...and the temperature gauge go in the red when I'm stopping to long.

I didn't check the coolant level in the radiator only in the reservor.[&:]I will look at that tonight...I have "prestone 50/50" for car do it work? I will look on the bottle to be sure it's the spec in the manual for my bike. If not where I can buy coolant without having to go at a dealer?

I hope it's just the coolant level...but I asked a dealer last year at the same time as my oil changewhen it begin to overheat to fill the coolant (they said, they do it)...

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Two words: FAN RELAY

Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Wait, scratch that.

I wasn't paying attention to what you said earlier. For some reason I thought you jumped the fan motor directly.I agree with chris. Low coolant could allow an air pocket around the sensor probe that could cause your problem.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm dying to know the results of your coolant-level-check.
If Mark's right and your sensor is in a pocket, steam (even steam resulting from he combination of air and coolant) can get MUCH hotter than liquid coolant and the "overheating" is almost certainly the result of low coolant level.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-Chris

Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I will let you know as soon as I check it...I have to buy coolant first and a funnel...It will maybe be tomorrow night or next week because I have to go visit my family in Quebec during the week-end...I hope it's only that the problem!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'd confirm that this is the problem before buying coolant and funnel.
It's a simple matter of removing the mirrors and front fairing and unscrewing the radiator cap. If it turns out the coolant level is not the problem, it would be a shame to throw money away on coolant and funnel.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Iremoved the cap of the radiator and start the bike to remove the bubbles of air… there was 10sec ofbubblesand it stop. As it is written in Clymer manualto let the bike reach a normal temperature I waited but when I saw the liquid overflowing, I stopped all… [/align]But good news! My fan start now same if surely I still have air in the radiator because the needle goes up approximately to the 3/4 and before the fan was starting when the needle was below thehalf… [/align]Stepto remove air without spilling coolant everywhere? The bike was on the center stand.[/align]Thank you![/align]

Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The surest way is to run the engine to circulate the coolant throughout the system. Then shut it off and let it cool down.
I also like to tap and lightly squeeze all of the cooling system hoses, which seems to free up more air pockets.
(Don't take the radiator cap off while the engine is hot.)
Peace!
-Chris

Quick Reply: Radiator Overheat