Painting bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Default Painting bikes

Well ever since I got into my motorcycle accident I've been working to get my '93 EX500 back into good condition and the last thing on my list is to get it painted.

I decided that I'm going to do the work by myself because my father did work on cars when he was younger and that would be better for my bank account :P.

So my question is, is there any way of getting around using a compressor?

This is basically what I want to do with my bike:

Old 02-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Default RE: Painting bikes

yes, colorrite.com has auto paint in spray cans, although I wouldnt do an overall job with it. And its SUPER expensive, as it would take at least 3-4 cans of color, and that many again for the clear-coat. Best bet, find a friend with a compressor and do it what I like to call 'THE RIGHT WAY'...haha

Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freedom_fri911

Well ever since I got into my motorcycle accident I've been working to get my '93 EX500 back into good condition and the last thing on my list is to get it painted.

I decided that I'm going to do the work by myself because my father did work on cars when he was younger and that would be better for my bank account :P.

So my question is, is there any way of getting around using a compressor?

This is basically what I want to do with my bike:

If you want a good quality job, you need the knowledge and tools. A patch up can will do for track use for some people. But you need to confirm what you actually want as far as looks/finish.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sorry for being such a wet-towel, but EVERY single DIY paintjob I've ever seen looks like what it is. (In fact, most of them look more like DUI paintjobs.)
I've seen a very few bikes that were professionally done that looked as good as the original paint, but we're talking less than 10%.

And another thing, what's with these guys remove and discard only certain portions of their fairings (and then remove the other side, so the bike appears balanced)? It doesn't look like a street-fighter to me; it looks more like a hapless guy scratching the back of his neck at the parts counter, shocked at the price of OEM replacement plastic.
-Chris in C'bad

Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

you get what you pay for and doing it right costs money. you may be able to rent the tools you need for the weekend, just make sure you got everything ready to be sprayed.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ive seen some diy paint jobs and the sanding / prep work plays alot on how it comes out in the end.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 AM

well the thing is that I'm 16 and broke. I don't want to pay too much for a professional paint job when the bike isn't worth that much to begin with.

Also, I don't know of anyone around here that has a compressor I could borrow, it would be really handy though. Home Depot, however, has pretty good rates for their rentals

Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 AM

this may sound rude, but if I were 16 and had a motorcycle, I wouldnt give a f*** what it looked like, I would ride it anyway

believe me, you will have plenty of time to work and save money to repaint it lil man

Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't listen to the haters...paint your bike, everyone has to start somewhere and there was a time when compressors did not exist. Like hoedogg said take your time on the prep this is your foundation. Think outside the box and you may even be able to use the things you don't have to your advantage. Also don't be afraid to ask some professionals in the trade you might learn a lot from them. Visit some of your local paint and body shops and pick some brains many times people are more than happy to share.

I thinks it cool that you are wanting to do your own thing with your bike. That is exactly what defines the motorcycle industry, customization.

Do your thang!

And keep us posted.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Yeah, definately paint it yourself, and learn that's what I did with my car when I rebuilt the front. and you get to say, "I did it myself!"

Quick Reply: Painting bikes