New Tires... Take it Easy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default New Tires... Take it Easy!

You veterans are probably rolling your eyes already, and indeed I am ashamed to have made such a foolish mistake, but I low-sided the '02 500R last night while riding home on new tires.
Totalled the bike, broke 3 ribs and lost about a square foot of skin from my left knee and hip, but at least my dog was unhurt.
Anytime you can walk away from a totalled bike is cause for drinking a toast, and I'm especially happy because my dog is okay.
We were taking a gentle left at 35-40 and the front end lost traction suddenly and immediately. My dog remained in her riding seat during the impact and miraculously didn't fall out until we'd slid for a while. I watched her tumble twice and get up directly and walk to me--a stylish James-Bond dismount. She was more freaked out by all the flashing lights and paramedics than she was by the crash.
When I asked the nice cellphone woman not to call the paramedics, she immediately asked, "Have you been drinking?!?!" I wasn't, but was simply rushing around trying to get all my necessaries done for my Mount Whitney climb this weekend, (which, haha, isn't going to happen at all now); too busy to pay heed to something as crucial as slick new tires.

So I'll conclude this side-splitting sermon with two lessons that everyone should already know:

1) Take it easy on those new tires and give them a chance to get scrubbed in.
2) When you're busy, in a hurry and not paying close attention, those little details will jump up and bite your @$$.

Please learn from my mistake. Happy (& safe) riding!
-CCinC

Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Default RE: New Tires... Take it Easy!

So what is in your plans? Are you getting the bike repaired? Will you be back? Hate to see this happen to ANYONE.

Keep us up to date!
Kevin

Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow bro glad to hear you and ur dog are ok man.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys.
The bike is totalled; I'll try to get some photos posted. It's been chewed-up and spit-out by the asphaltosaurus-wrex and very little on the bike is salvageble. Both mirrors are broken off, the gas tank is dented, gouged and leaking. The right muffler is scratched all to hell and the left one is cracked open like an egg. One handlebar is bent and the other is broken off completely.
The only parts of the bike that are serviceable are the engine innards and the odd nuts-n-bolts. I'm dumbfounded that I got off with only broken ribs and my dog wasn't hurt at all!. I was going a LOT faster than Christopher Reeves. Despite being sore as hell, I'm really happy.
I'm going to buy another 500R, hopefully another sexy red 2002.
Thanks again and I hope you guys have a great (& safe) weekend of riding. (I'm going to be reading, bike-shopping, and trying not to laugh or cough this weekend.)
Peace!
-Chris

Old 09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Gawd! That's tough. I'm glad to hear you and your dog are okay. My wife's a vet and she couldn't believe it when I showed her the pics of you and your dog on the 500. Sorry to hear it is a loss. I love mine, it is a great do everything bike and I would be lost without it. Heal up, and best of luck finding a new 02.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, as everyone mention good to hear you're okay as well as your companion!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Default Get Well Soon...

CC...dude glad you and your pooooouch are okay.

Get well. Stop driving James Bond all over town......don't you know he has his own wheels.

As for the tires. Well it would have been worse if you didn't/hadn't have/had so much experience.

We re-learn lessons all the time.

I am glad you are doing well. And, it is too bad about the climb. Send James Bond instead...

Jason

Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Default RE: Get Well Soon...

good to hear you and your dog are okay...you have insurance coverage on the bike right?

Old 09-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Get Well Soon...

That sux for sure man..... It is nice to hear the dog survived thru it, and you were able to walk away. Heal quick bro!!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:37 AM

Glad you're ok!!
Glad your dog's ok too!! (Wifey has a similar small 6lb dog she absolutely adores!)

What were you wearing that gave you a square foot rash? Jeans, as in the photo above?

Good luck on your next bike find, and please be careful!

Quick Reply: New Tires... Take it Easy!