Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Default Need help!!!

First i have a 2003 ex500 with about 9800 miles.Okay, I'm going to tell u everything that happened so u can get a better understanding of what's going on...One day i was on the highway doing about 60 riding with a friend...We got to a long straight away with no cars, So....i kicked it down and punched it....it got to about a 100 then it stayed there...when it did that i knew something wasn't right so i backed out of it....while i was slowing down i started to notice this noise almost like the sound as if i blew a hole in the exhaust gasket...i lost power above 4-6 rpms...so i limped home since i wasnt far....So here's what i notice now....it idles fine...when i rev it up...it starts making a rattling or ticking noise around 4-6 rpms but as far as the reving it goes up fine...Okay on the road...from the time i release the clutch till about 4-6 rpms it pulls fine but after i get pass that...my wheel to rpms isn't matching...my rpms go up but no power to the wheel( or slipping?whatever u want to call it)...i can shift thru the gears but i only get any pull below 4-6 rpms...i needed to put some oil in too...i was thinking maybe it was the clutch plate or something but then i read about the cam tensioner...but i rather get some from people who know more about bikes than i do this is my first one so im still learning about bikes...i would appreciate any responses,questions or info if u could

Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need help!!!

first of all welcome to the forum RR. just curious do you get power above 6K? For awhile my bike had a real bad hesitation around 6-8k but once it got past 8K it was an instant monster. Anyways we rejetted the carbs and smoothed it out. But if you are not getting anything past 6K I do not know...their are some very knowledgeable guys on here that should be able to help.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 AM

no, nothing to the wheel...after i get past 4-6 thousand rpms it starts making that sound and loses acceleraton when driving...in neutral in will rev like normal but still makes that sound at 4-6 thousand rpms

Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 AM

oh that sound...if u worked on cars before...it sounds like the sound lifters make when u dont have any oil but a little deeper...a TAT sounds but its consitant....that why im so confused it could be anything[:-]

Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

theres a lot of things that could cause a sound at rpm - valve timing, oil thinning, ping/detonation
hard to tell without being there

Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

That is a tough one as mentioned above. A lot of variables. Could be a simple fix or more indepth. I know, no help here at the moment. Good luck

Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

It sounds like possibly more than one thing went wrong. I wouldn't rule out a clutch problem. What you describe about the "slipping" is exactly what happens when you have a worn out clutch.
One way to test this is to find yourself a fairly steep hill and then give your bike a few quick hard twists on the throttle while climbing. Sometimes shifting to a higher gear will show the problem more easily so you might try 2nd or 3rd. If it feels like the bike isslipping into neutral, then its most likely your clutch.

Good luck hope you get to the bottom of it!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 AM

Thanks everybody for replying

Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM

Could be because of added additives like seafoam.... This happened to me and had to empty the tank and refill with fresh gas. This solved the issue. No clue why this happened as seaform works like charm in my earlier 250.....

Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:43 AM

I have a 1991 ex 500 and I've been trying to replace the flywheel I got the center bolt out but I can't get the flywheel off please help!!!!! Thanks

Quick Reply: Need help!!!