MSF is fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Default MSF is fun

I started the MSF class yesterday. Class yesterday, riding today. it was a blast. Considering my limited amount of riding, the drills really taught me a lot and the whole experience was just plain fun.

Classroom tomorrow and more riding thursday. i can't wait

-Joe

Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: MSF is fun

I enrolled my wife and 4 friends in the class last October, they all said it was the most grueling experience that they have ever gone through, but in a good way. If you're having too much fun, they must not be working you hard enough, I'm just kidding of course. What bike did you use? Was it a dual sport? Are you hooked? There are plenty of KLX 250S bikes a the shop still, what are you waiting for?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, congrats on getting the education. My hat is off to ya.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

when i took my MSF, i did enjoy the class - and it did in fact have good stuff that one can pick up and learn to be safer and smarter out there....

Old 06-27-2007, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Gratulations. Man I envy you! Riding is still fun and always will be, but I have such profoundly happy memories when I got my first bike (a Harley Sportster) and took the MSF course. Take lots of pictures, and maybe keep a journal because some of the greatest moments of your life are approaching. When you are old, have kids and an overbearing wife who won't let you have a motorcycle those photos, memories and scars will be your talisman against being beaten down by life, and a reminder of these golden times when you had life by the tailfeathers.
Ride safely!
-CCinC

Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

..When you are old, have kids and an overbearing wife who won't let you have a motorcycle those photos, memories and scars will be your talisman against being beaten down by life, and a reminder of these golden times when you had life by the tailfeathers.
lol chris.. u make it sound like life is over once you're married and have kids. hmm.. I'm not there yet, so I wouldnt know.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sorry, no offense meant to you married dads. I just know a few who had to give up their bikes, and I think we've all had gas-stop encounters with those hapless minivan drivin' soccer dads with the far-away look in his eye: "Yeah, I used to have a bike. Lotsa fun, but those things are too dangerous."

Nyargh!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:59 PM

They had me on a suzuki gs250. I would have prefered one of the 3 sport bikes they had, but they only had them for the other three sport bike riders since they've all had years of experience riding (just w/o a license) and I've had about 30 miles. The difference in foot control orientation was tricky at first, plus my steel toe boots, but after about 10 minutes I had the break and shift lever operation down.

I hope that after this class I'll be able to control my 500 like i can that 250. The slow-speed weaves and "friction zone" turns are going to be a much needed exercise on blue (thats what im going to call my bike... it's grey. with neon green accents heh but I have my reasons) once I get my license. After the horror stories I heard from people about what's been happening to bikes in my area when the cops get you riding on only a permit..... i do not want to have it impounded with a hook truck. no thank you. I think I migth have to make friends with some of my new neighbors... I just moved in january and I recently discovered that at least three people on my street have bikes. One's a big ol harley, one's a GSX-R and o don't know what the other guy has... at one point i saw 2 cruisers in his garage, but he was on some sort of sport bike the other day. the funny part about it, i moved from the next street over... i can see my folks' place from my backyard.

Chris, Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to bring my digi along. who knows, maybe i'll start a scrap book (that's what a few years working at a craft store will do to you, but the chicas were well worth it). Sweet looking harley, too!

one thing that really stood out in my mind... the difference in size between my 500 and the fleet of misc. 250's they use for the MSF. i swear it seems like it's nearly twice the size! (i realize the humor in that, seeing as 500 is twice 250, but CC is obviously not a 1:1 factor in overall bike size, heh)

Deric, the KLX 250S is a nice looking machine. That's street and off road, right?

The instructor last night had a straight race bike, strictly for competition but since it was made in a foreign country there was nothing on the title that said for off road only, so the fellow he got it from had it full modified, re-titled out of state and transfered it to NY. I forget what it was called, but it started with like a k or h and was a 450cc.

well, back to work!

ttyl.
-Joe

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

If you get a chance to take the ERC you'll love the figure 8's they have you do, that was a blast.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Passed the MSF last night!

aced the written, lost 15 points (20 max to fail) b/c I'm too slow in the turns and too fast when I'm braking. Whatever, license here I come!

now

just need to convince a licensed rider to supervise me while I practice for the next 8 weeks until my license comes.

Quick Reply: MSF is fun