mainentence question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Default mainentence question

I have a new '08 Ninja 500r. I currently have around 565 miles on it. I read and was told that I need to have it serviced at around 500 miles.

I called the dealership where I purchased it and asked them about it and was told they would do a bunch of checks on just about everything, change the oil, and adjust the valve clearance or something like that. They told me it would take about 3-4 hours and cost me $250-$270, and that the service is not covered under warranty.

I am very new to motorcycles and know very little. Is this service neccesary and if so why is it so expensive and not covered? I am now afraid to ride my bike fearing I may damage it.

I would like to learn to change my own oil sometime but messing with valves and such I would rather have it done professionally..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: mainentence question

The "first service" is standard with any motorcycle at around 600 miles. I suspect that the price is so high because people are afraid not to get it done.Minecost less than half what you were quoted, soif I were you I would call around for prices and ask some local riders which shops do the best work. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: mainentence question

The next time you buy a new bike from a dealership, and the salesman is so horny to get you to sign on the dotted line, make sure to mention that you'd like the first service thrown in.

If you have any trouble with your bike that would ordinarily be taken care of by the warranty, they might just throw it back in your face if you don't get the first service done. My '06 is the first bike I've ever bought new that I didn't pay to have the service done (and this is the 7th bike I've bought new.) Instead I spent the better part of a weekend loosening, applying the appropriate strength threadlock to, and then torquing every single fastener on my bike (and there are hundreds of them), removing the swingarm and lubing the swingarm mount bushings, changing the the oil & filter, installing sound-absorbing foam sheeting to the inside of the fairing and probably some other stuff that I can't remember 11,000 miles later. But I also didn't pay extra for the longer warranty coverage because I have a spare bike (my '02 that I totalled.)

If you don't feel like paying a dealership for this, you can always buy the service manual and supplement and do it yourself. BUT if something goes wrong and you want help from the warranty, they might want to see the receipt from your initial service.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC