How to be more visible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How to be more visible?

OK, so I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I don't think people know how to drive around motorcycles. It's like we're not even there. I can't count the number of times the car behind me is like 8 feet off of my tail, or when it goes to pass it almost clips me both leaving and entering my lane.
Giving the boneheads, I mean drivers, the benefit of the doubt, how can we be more visible to them? Apparently my BRIGHT F#@!ing green motorcycle isn't doing it.
So please help me out folks, how can we all make sure to be seen. I live in a residential neighborhood and don't want towake everyone up at 6am and to avoid bad stereotypes from the uninformed non-riders don't want to change the pipes at this point.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How to be more visible?

icon mil spec vest
reflective tape
and maybe a brighter helmet

Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought about a big reflective sticker on the backof my helmet.
Is there a flasher solenoid for the brake light or anything like that?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah check out signal dynamic corp.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

i've seen the flasher things for goldwings and such for the headlights.. those, and just oddball stuff to catch the eye..

man, its soo tough to gear up appropriately for dumbasses..lol

its almost impossible i think, anymore.. i just stay uber vigilant, and always expect the worse on every ride.. sadly that takes away from the experience.. i can usually tell if i'm destined to get cut off now.. i always leave myself an "out" on any road.. or at least try my best to..

Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Leaving an out is what I do too. I am possibly the slowest Ninja rider on Earth as well. I leave a ton of room in between me and the car in front and am always checking mirrors (which by the way I am installing the new ZX6 mirrors I got to see better with).
It does take away from the enjoyment a little but I don't want to relax too much and miss some bozo coming at me.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

In addition to leaving your stock turn-signals on, you can always get a Hi-Viz yellow crash suit from Aerostich:

I hear they make them with knee-pucks now. They also have the Scotchbrite tabs on the back, chest and legs and you can get the jacket. Mine is six years old and it's terrific.

BUT, even wearing this suit on my bright-green 500 is not enough. Cars just don't see us. Some bitter types among us say things like, "Pretend cagers are all trying to kill you, because they ARE!!!!1! lol" but the truth is that we humans don't always see what we're not looking for. Check out this excellent British video. CLICKY
You can't ride a motorcycle at the same level of awareness that you do while driving a car. My MSF instructor said riding a motorcycle in traffic is like showing up at the sword fight without any armor on--you can outmaneuver and outdodge everyone else in their clunky iron suits, but the minute one of them makes contact, game-over man.
I'm ashamed to admit that about 4 years ago, I started turning left into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist. I was busy, driving my truck, and despite being an avid motorcyclist for nearly two decades now, I didn't see him.
Awareness (your own awareness--you can't always count on the awareness of those around you) is the only thing that will keep you alive. Good luck.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 04-16-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Well...
I'm ashamed to admit it, I miscounted the passes as well.

I was looking at the suits like that and the vests Dragknee mentioned.

Drivers can be unaware, myself included when in my own truck, but I do want to use whatever I can to try to turn the tables in my favor.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc.../tristarxp.asp
Some reflective tape on the license plate light cover
Reflective sticker on my helmet
Larger mirrors
Vigilance.

I might try to install one of those oil misters like James Bond for the ones that get too close for too long. Surprisingly quite a few truckers in very large trucks get right up on me, like I can see the truck in both mirrors at the same time almost.
Or an LED sign on my helmet expressing my concern for their driving so close.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

im thinking about getting one of the things from SDC that flashes your taillight when you hit the brakes.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw that too but the only thing that came to mind was the person behind me not knowing what it meant. It flashes 3x then solid for 5 seconds then repeats. My only thought was that it could confuse the person behind you.
Then again if it get's them thinking it's worth it.
Can these things be combined? I mean SDC's products. The blinky light thing and the TriStar XP.

Quick Reply: How to be more visible?