how the F%$#? Flywheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Default how the F%$#? Flywheel removal

hey guys, I am in the process of trying[:@] (and I stress trying)[:@] to change the cracked flywheel on my ex500 ninja 1988. Does anyone know what kind of bolt the flywheel has on it? I have read that it was supposed to be torqued to around 65ftlbs and that it was lefthanded thread (backwards). Is this true? I have tryed both directions and up to 90ftlbs of torque and have gotten s%^& for results so I am going to get the impact driver ou tof the drawer and get it out. But I want to know what direction to turn. If that doesnt work, FIRE UP THE GRINDER!!! Ill grind the F&*^*%$ thing out of there. I haev the puller but that is crap without this bolt out!

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: how the F%$#? Flywheel removal

yes, its left hand thread.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Impact driver? Grinder?!
That's probably how the flywheel got cracked in the first place.
My Honda VTR's flywheel bolt had my torque wrench popping at 145+ Newton-Meters (and it pops with authority when it's wound up that tight) but I still got the sumb%$@h without resorting to airtools or cutting.
Sounds like it's time for a bigger torque wrench.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

maybe try the blue wrench?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

Impact driver? Grinder?!
That's probably how the flywheel got cracked in the first place.
My Honda VTR's flywheel bolt had my torque wrench popping at 145+ Newton-Meters (and it pops with authority when it's wound up that tight) but I still got the sumb%$@h without resorting to airtools or cutting.
Sounds like it's time for a bigger torque wrench.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

No that is not how the thing got cracked in the first place. You will find that there is a real problem with the individual magnets cracking or in the worst case flying off of the flywheel. By saying what I did I mena that I am a very resourcful guy. If it doesnt come off like it is supposed to then as we all know there is more than one way to skin a cat. As for the size of the torque wrench I am using a 24" longhalfinch drive. As for the impact driver, I have one that runs off 12v and only hits once per trigger pull. It works great on things that are stuck like this. I have worked in a shop for years with a buddy of mine, and when we do resort to those tools we are very careful. We have never torn someting up by using the grinder, because we grind only what we need to to get the job done.