How do you get this beast on the centerstand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Default How do you get this beast on the centerstand?

I'm not a weak guy. I even tried putting both hands on the handle behind the rear seat and planting both feet firmly. No way!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How do you get this beast on the centerstand?

There is a "hidden" hand hold on the bottom of the side fairing right above the cargo hooks. Lift up on that as you're pushing down on the centerstand. I am a weak guy, and I have no trouble when I use that.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The point that gives you best leverage is the small horizontal beam of the left passenger footpeg. If you pull up with almost no force while stepping down on the centerstand, the bike will pop up like a boner at a titty-bar.
I'm recovering from sciatica (which hurts if you do anything more strenuous than blinking) and getting the bike up on the C-stand this way was always a snap.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 08-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Ditto on the small horizontal beam of the left passenger foot-peg. I am 62 and am able to get the bike on the C-stand with almostno effort at all had to learn to do this because the hidden handhold was under the sports-bag I keep on the bike so we can do some light touring.

Phil

Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm in agreement with the others here. You can be bathed in sweat trying to get that thing up on its center-stand but if you do it right it takes no effort at all. Left foot facing forward, keep the bike straight, right-hand on the tail bar, left hand on the steering column or cross bar of the handles and step down firmly while pulling slightly back with your arms.Virtually allof the lift comes from stepping down on thecenter-stand and you're basically just guiding the bike withyour arms. Once you get itdown it takesvirtually no effort at all. Good Luck. It's a matter of feel.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM

It did pop right up. Thanks for the excellent descriptions; You guys rock.

Ride (and lift) safely!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Glad it worked out.
My Pa unfortunately gave himself a hernia by lifting his 750-pound Voyager up the wrong way. I felt pretty bad when I showed him the dual-stage feature of his centerstand. That Winne-bike-o weighs almost exactly twice as much as our beast .

Peace!
-CCinC

Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fizzit

It did pop right up. Thanks for the excellent descriptions; You guys rock.

Ride (and lift) safely!
Congrats on the success.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not able to do it...I will try again tonigh but I'm onlya girl...[&:]

Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: j_christopherhall

Left foot facing forward, keep the bike straight, right-hand on the tail bar, left hand on the steering column or cross bar of the handles and step down firmly while pulling slightly back with your arms.Virtually allof the lift comes from stepping down on thecenter-stand and you're basically just guiding the bike withyour arms.
Mel, just to paraphrase Chris' post, get on the left side of the bike, Left foot facing forward, keep the bike straight up and down (not leaning), keep your right-hand on the small horizontal bar in the frame that is just above the passenger foot peg,keep your left hand on the left steering grip or the steering column or the cross bar of the handles;step down firmly on the centerstand with your right foot while your arms guide the bike backward.

Note that if you hold the steering grip (same position your left hand normally is in while riding), you won't be able to get much force with your left hand. However, this is how I did it, and I guess my right arm was strong enough on its own. I have not triedplacingmy left hand near the center of the steering column, but I assume you could get more help from your left arm if you didthat. Personally I feel awkward leaning into the bike so much that I can hold on near the center of hte steering column because I am afraid the bike will lean over to the right side and I'll drop it. but then again, I didn't try it either...

Quick Reply: How do you get this beast on the centerstand?