how do u check and remove oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Default how do u check and remove oil?

how would i go about checking the oil level? i know where the big black **** on the right side is but i dont know how to go from there. also what oil would i want to use and how would i drain it? i hate asking dumb questions but im new to bikes. cars are one thing bikes are another. also will the DID PRO O-RING SERIES 520V X 104 be a good chain? thanks guys. -john

-edit
also forgot to ask what kinda oil filter is best

Old 04-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: how do u check and remove oil?

Welcome bullet,

Oil is easy. On the side of your engine there should be a clear sight glass. In the middle is where you want to see the oil level. Make sure your bike is level and not leaning on the side stand when checking.

Replacing oil, remove your lower fairing and you will be able to find the drain plug. You should warm up your bike for a few minuets and then drain the oil. In front below or behind the radiator you should locate your oil filter. Remove and replace with approved oil filter.

Your owners manual should have all this info and the amount of oil needed to refill with new filter and with out. If you no longer have the manual fill with 3 quarts and then check the sight glass. Keep filling until you see the oil appear in the glass up about ½ . Then run the bike for a few minutes to fill the filter and distribute the oil. Turn off the bike and let sit for a few minutes and recheck sight glass. Fill as needed to get the level to the ½ point of the sight glass.

A rear stand is nice for this work but not necessary. Just make sure when checking the sight glass you hold the bike up right.

Better to service your own ride then pay the stealership. Good job bro.

As far as the chain goes I like the DID chains but need to know what bike you have.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 AM

i have a 95 ninja 500. yea, i try to do all my own work on everything. stealerships are a rip off and ive heard horror stories when they screw up. well i checked the sight glass but all i see is black. does that mean its too full?

Old 04-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Possible it is over filled. Go get some oil and a filter and drain it. The sight glass should be clear after that. Remember you are shooting for the middle to 2/3 up the glass when the bike is warm. So do not over fill it when your refilling, it is easy to add more and messy to remove.

As far as the chain goes I believe that bike runs a 520 chain so the one you listed should be fine. Get the gold one they look cool as hell.

I buy chains and sprockets fro this place. www.sprocketcenter.com they should be able to answer your questions better then me.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

The big black **** you see is where you put the oil back in the bike. I can't remember right off hand how much oil you put it. But trust me, its easy as pie to change the oil, especially if you don't have a lower fairing. If I can do it, I'm sure you can!!

If you don't have a manual for your bike, the Clymer one is pretty good - that's the one I have and I find it really easy to follow.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:59 AM

thanks, i just got the Clymer manual. the oil is a breeze. truely the hardest part is disposing of it. thanks guys, id be lost with out u......i think we just had a moment...lol. seriously, thanks.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

No problem! Its always nice to help out fellow 'family members'! Glad you had fun changing your oil!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 PM

yea, i hafta change my oil this week.......i've put a big 4 miles on the bike, hhaaha, just rode around the driveway, and not a smart idea but in grass........this weekend i will more than likely go to a parking lot after my jacket comes in and i get a helmet. i actually went in second gear today, haha, prob went a lil over 5 mph.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM

Thank you for posting such a detailed post it really helped me today!!
"how do u check and remove oil"

Lor

Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverbullet17

thanks, i just got the Clymer manual. the oil is a breeze. truely the hardest part is disposing of it. thanks guys, id be lost with out u......i think we just had a moment...lol. seriously, thanks.
Disposal is the easiest part, you know the neighbors bush that is always growing on your side? just make sure noone is looking.

Quick Reply: how do u check and remove oil?