Hands cramping

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Hands cramping

Can I have the handle bars raked back slightly to reduce the strain on my wrists?
My fingers on my right hand go completely numb after 15 or 20 minutes of highway riding. Both hands cramp up too. It could be carpal tunnel and I thought the rake of the bars could help.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is it just something that I will become accustomed to through riding?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hands cramping

Three suggestions that will make it easier until your body has gotten used to this new activity:
~Practice having the loosest grip possible that will still hold the throttle open. You'll find it doesn't take a deathgrip.
~Several times a day: squeeze your fists as tight as you can for a count of five, then spread your fingers as far apart as you can for a count of five; repeat three times daily.
~Get some large, cushy grips in place of the stockers like these:

Oh yeah, and if you're wearing thick ski-gloves, they make it difficult to get a comfortable grip. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 03-30-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You know, I noticed the thicker gloves weren't as comfortable, I wasn't sure if it was in my mind. The "Death Grip" thing, I think maybe I do need to learn to relax my grip as well. I tried that on the last trip to work and it did help. I will also look for some new grips.
Thanks again,
Paul

Old 03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on no death grip.

also, dont support yourself by your wrists. your weight shouldnt be on them. you should be holding yourself up with your core muscles.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Well here's my wrist problem update:
Nothing seems to help. I do seem to have less trouble with my "Summer" gloves, but it's just too darn cold still.
The angle of the bars is part of it though, I may have the dealership change the way they are. More rake backwards will be a more natural angle and less awkward, but will it change the control I have over the bike? Just a few degrees or so?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't believe the angle of the bars can be adjusted. And Helibars unfortunately doesn't offer bars for this model.
I recommend changing bikes with almost anyone else for an hour or two if you can stand it. This is probably the most effective way of making your handlebars seem more comfortable.
And give it time. It took me a while to build up the wrist, forearm and lower back muscles to get used to a sportbike position back when I traded my Harley Sportster for a Honda Superhawk: