Getting a 500r, what's the first thing i should do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Default Getting a 500r, what's the first thing i should do?

I'm gonna be stumbling upon a relatively new 500R here in the next week, so what's the first performance upgrade I should add to it? I've heard the first 3 things you do is replace filter, replace exhaust, and rejet it. is this true?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Getting a 500r, what's the first thing i should do?

I'd say you're 1 for 3, which in baseball is pretty darn good. Yes if it has a fuel filter go ahead and replace it. Oil is cheap go ahead and change it and replace the filter. Check all of your other fluid levels. Spend some time verifying what the state of the rest of the bike is. If all is well with the bike I'd change out the stock fork springs. Then just ride. I haven't changed the jetting, but I've gone back and forth with some air box mods and quite frankly I haven't out ridden the bike either way, if you are, get to a track quick.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Leave the exhaust and carb alone.
Upgrade and/or adjust the suspension both front and rear to suit your weight and style.
Front springs proably need to be replaced with heavier units depending on your weight.
Several suspension sites have a calculator where you can see if the stock springs are suitable
or what size you would need to upgrade.
I can tell you from experience, proper suspension will add more speed than any carb/exhaust mode.
Also, get good tires if it doesn't have them already.
PQ

Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 AM

I'm a relatively new rider too, only about 5,500 miles of experience on a used 500R so far but the suspension is something I hadn't really checked. Managed to figure out how to change the oil and filter, etc.and check the other fluids but if you'vegot any tips on how you actually go aboutchecking the springsthat'd be appreciated.

Also, does anybody know where you find out the horsepower on bikes to compare different models and how much difference doeshorsepower really make ? I'm obviously not an expert on this stuff but I'd like to be able to mentally compare different bikes as far as for example, that onemust bereally underpowered compared to what I'm riding now, etc. They never seem to list horsepower on the spec sheets I've seen. Obviously engine size makes a differencebut I'm presuming that weight, exhaust system and other things like the suspension system make a difference in how much power the bike has and how it handles, etc. I know that's vague but if someone wants to fill me in a bit I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Setup the suspension first! Get used to the ride and then go from there! Have fun

Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM

To 'check' the springs...
Springs are rated by their compression rate, ie how much weight does it take to compress the spring a certain distance.
The usual measurement is in metric (cause the bikes are built in Japan which uses metric).
500R stock spring rate is .585 kg/mm (kilograms per millimeter) ie all stock springs in the 94-current 500R are this rate.
According to www.racetech.com, a rider weighing 120lbs needs a rate of 0.775 for street riding.
Therefore stock rate is too soft so the front end of the bike will wallow or pogo under stress (bumps on road, heavy braking).
You can cut the stock springs shorter (making them stronger) and fill the space with an aluminum or PVC spacer.
OR
You can buy stiffer/heavier springs.

Cutting is an inexact science so buying for most people is the correct option.
The racetech site has a spring calculator where you select your riding style (street or race) and your weight (without gear) and it will tell you the desired spring rate and whats the closest size. Usually in increments of .05
I have a set of .95 kg/mm on order for my '97 500R and my weight.
(Ordered from www.sonicsprings.com, @ $79.95 US$ per set.)

With the correct tools, changing front springs is a straightforward job.
PQ

Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

+1 on the suspension. That and the noise-dampers are the only mods I've made to my bike and it will still school any Harley or Corvette I come across.
Racetech the front end (springs, cartridge emulators and oil) and get a Works-Performance shock for the rear. (Surprisingly, Ohlins doesn't offer one for our bike.)
I appreciate some of you guys drawing unwanted LEO attention away from me with your loud aftermarket exhausts, but if you want a more powerful bike, buy a 600.
-Chris in C'bad.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM

I found the rear shock adequate once you adjusted the preload correctly.
Now once it wears out thats a different story...
PQ

Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default A Note on spacers

Go and buy your self a piece of 3/4" PVC conduit. It's cheaper than dirt. Easy to cut and clean up the ends. This way you can experiment at a very low cost. You can impress your friends with your collection of spacers as you work towards the "perfect" front end.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Default RE: A Note on spacers

Im totally thinking of trading my 06 500 with just under 10000 miles on it for the new zx6r, any thoughts? I do love my 500 and still ride it almost all the time

Quick Reply: Getting a 500r, what's the first thing i should do?