Front brakes grabbing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front brakes grabbing

I replaced my front brake pads about 500 miles ago - maybe a bit more. Lately I've notice that when I brake at highway speed I'm getting a "grabbing" sensation. It almost feels like the rotor is warped, but I spun the tire last night and it is at least not visually warped.

I did the brake pads myself and bled the brakes a couple of times to make sure I got any air out of the line. Any ideas what else this could be caused by? Or is it just normal break-in on the pads?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front brakes grabbing

You should make sure it is not you grabbing to hard first off, also try just easing into to the front brake and check if it grabs at a cretin point.

The only real way to check your rotors for being warped is to remove them, place them on a piece of sheet glass and use a feeler gauge to check for differences between the glass and rotor.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You can check your rotor while it's still on the bike, but that requires a dial gauge (which ain't cheap.)

When you say "grabbing", do you mean pulsing? As in, rapidly grab-slip-grab-slip?
Because most motorcycle brake rotors are very thin to keep weight down, they are prone to warping. And their light weight unfortunately also precludes machining, so you pretty much have to buy a new one if it is warped.
The best way to make your rotors last longer is to release the brake when you're at a stop, especially after a hard-braking situation like a freeway offramp.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

yes it seems like it's pulsing - I thought it was air in the line but that's not the issue.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Pulsing = warped rotor.
As far as I know, the only cure is to replace it.
Good luck.
-CCinC

Old 07-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

Pulsing = warped rotor.
As far as I know, the only cure is to replace it.
Good luck.
-CCinC
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to wave rotors [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 07-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Didn't I just read that the front end of your ride was tweaked in another thread?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

yes - but this didn't start happening until I replaced the front brake pads. The front end has been tweaked since I bought the bike.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Could this grabbing be caused by improper brake pads?

I'm thinking no way I warped the rotor - I just don't brake that hard. So last night I pulled off the caliper and I noticed that one side of the inner brake pad was not being held in place by the retaining hardware.

I corrected the problem and I seem to be still having the problem, but I bet if I pull off the caliper tonight it will have the same problem.

Should I try buying just the brake hardware? I didn't replace this when I did the brakes and figure it may be the cause, or perhaps the pads are not the right size. I remember when I bought them the guy looked on the computer, got a set, then went out to my bike and held the package up to the roter I guess to see if they were a close fit...!! They do work, but with this grabbing/pulsing issue I'm thinking maybe I thats the problem.

??

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

if you had uneven wear onthe rotor or got oil of some kind on an area of the rotor it can also cause pulsing with new pads.

a lot of times people get grease handprints on rotors when replacnig brakes and wonder why it feels wierd. should always spray down the rotors with brake clean after replacing the pads to make sure they are oil free.

Quick Reply: Front brakes grabbing