Christmas Present!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Christmas Present!

sorry chris

but good news for me. since 18 is my minimum.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Ah well. Thanks anyway, Hyppy.
I don't date women who don't get my "Brady Bunch" references. (Or who already have kids, who smoke, Xians, refuse to ride, or are television-addicted couch-doilies, which pretty much makes me a born-again virgin.)

Ride safely! (You owe your awesome wife that much.)
-CCinC

Old 12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm...for the first time rider:

Use your front brake almost exclusively, except when cornering.

Always remember to put your kickstand up so you dont look like an idiot when the bike dies on you trying to take off.

Look out for 'raised stripes' on the road...you know, the painted on yellow and white stripes. Some of them actually raise up, be careful because it can throw you if youre not expecting it.

Look out for 18-wheelers coming the opposite way, thats a lot of air that hits you at once.

Watch out for loose gravel, especially in corners.

If you cant see peoples faces in their rear view mirrors, they cant see you. And even if you can, they probably still dont see you. Never ever ever ride in peoples blind spots.

Most importantly, have fun, but be safe!
-Cody

Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I must respectfully disagree with Cody's statement about using only the front brake. Both brakes used together is really the safest way to stop a motorcycle. Yes, I understand that in extreme braking situations when the rear wheel is lifted, it is no longer exerting braking force on the road, but not every stop is an extreme-braking-situation.
Using both brakes together is not only the safest way, it's also the easiest on your machine, IMO.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, as a fairly new rider, I have trained myself to use the front brake, so when some idiot does pull out in front of me, my first instinct will be do grab the front brake, as opposed to slamming my foot down on the rear. I usually use the engine to stop my rear tire and my front brake to stop the front one.
-Cody

Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 PM

MSF is all about using both front and back. If jamming your front brake works for you, Cody, then have at. I'm going to use my front and rear together. I hear a lot of newer bikes even have the linked braking system so engaging either the front or rear brake will also engage the other.

the front & rear braking really came in handy when practicing emergency stops during the MSF course.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

I don't date women who don't get my "Brady Bunch" references. (Or who already have kids,
im all about women with kids... at least you know they put out

Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

That might sound appealing when you're in your 20's, but at my age, you're more concerned with being woken by a little kid with two suitcases at the foot of the bed demanding, "Are you my new daddy, Daddy?"
All of us are descended from women who put-out... raise your standards, man!
-CCinC

Old 12-12-2007, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

hey some guys like a challenge... but not me

Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM

Congrats on the present. The 500R is the perfect bike to start on, it's light, it's quick, it's fun, it's not too much to handle or too small so that you feel unsafe. Have a lot of fun and be smart. I made a pact with myself that the first month I was riding it that I wouldn't take the expressway (70mph) and I wouldn't ride anyone on the back. The 500R can easily go over 100mph, so just keep it safe and if you're going to go that fast I'd advise doing it on roads you're already familiar with and you know where to look for traffic coming out of nowhere.

Both brakes is the best way. Front brake is the most powerful... and you should use it the most, but I also know guys who have only used their front brake in an emergency stop and flipped over the front. Use both, bikes can stop pretty quick when you need them to, the cars behind you can't.

If I could say one thing is the most important about riding: that is Situational Awareness. Be aware of what's around you, because usually it's not you dong the wrong thing. Cars tailgate bikes and people blow through reds and whatnot, just always look and no what's going on around you.

Don't ride if you've been drinking, you're judgement and motor skills are F'ed and you don't have 4-wheel stability. You'll probably tip your pretty new bike over.

If you tip your bike over on the left, the handle bar-ends will probably get scraped up. If you drop it on the right, it's the other handlebar and the rear brake lever, so try not to tip it over but don't get too pissed if it happens. Try not to park or slow down too much on steep inclines or declines a.k.a steep driveways.

Have fun, wear a helmet at minimum. Gloves are a +. A Jacket, Pants and Boots are ideal, but sometimes it's nice to ride in Jeans and a T-shirt... just wear appropriate stuff for where you'll be riding. High traffic = high gear. Low traffic, low(er) gear.

Peace. J-Rap

Quick Reply: Christmas Present!