View Poll Results: A poll
Good
37.50%
Bad
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a Ninja with 39k miles? Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Default Buying a Ninja with 39k miles? Good idea?

Hi guys!

Would buying a functional Ninja EX500 (1991)with 39k be a good idea? THe owners description reads "it has new tires, breaks, fork seals, grips, plugs and wires, and airfilter, and a new Vance and Hines full exhaust. The bike rides and runs great just not going to use it anymore and there is no point in keeping it aroung and collecting dust" Priced at $1k.

Thanks for your wisdom,

R.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Default RE: Buying a Ninja with 39k miles? Good idea?

Test ride it and spend $60 and drop it off at a shop so they can check it over for ya. If its sound then do it.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM

I didnt vote [8D]

Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I personally wouldn't.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Two items give me pause.
~The aftermarket exhaust. God-only-knows what else this guy has done to this bike.
~The words, "The owner's description reads..." suggests this guy is selling it online. Buying a bike locally and being able to check it out and take it to a mech for a check-up would be a better idea.

If you've got time and money to work on this bike, it might be a great deal. But if this is your first bike, or you don't have a lot of mechanical experience, tools or time to learn how to repair it, I'd consider a newer, more expensive bike.

The age of the bike and the number of miles on it are not as bad as the V&H pipe, IMO.
Good luck!
-Chris in Carlsbad, CA

Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 PM

It is a local bike, posted on craigslist for $1000

Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Normally when someone lists an aftermarket exhaust that has been placed, a new carb jetting or rebuild or something along those lines are normally listed also.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:52 AM

ok, sounds good. Thanks! Any other thoughts?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19
Normally when someone lists an aftermarket exhaust that has been placed, a new carb jetting or rebuild or something along those lines are normally listed also.
Unless of course they completely botched the jetting or rebuild, which is unfortunately more common than not.
-CCinC

Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 PM

I would say chris is pretty acurate, and since you're new here he seems to know quite a bit.

First let me say, the ninja 500 is a really good beginner/intermediate bike. The particular bike you are looking at has quite a bit of miles on it -- but that's not to say it's a bad bike. You should ask the guy if you can have your mechanic/bike shop check it out definitely. And ask them for their opinion and mechanical evaluation about the bike. If the mechanic says no, don't buy it. That $60 to have them check it out just saved you $1000 plus a lot of heartache.

If the mechanic says it's ok or decent. The choice is yours, but here are a few things to keep in mind. A 16 year old bike with 39k miles on it is not a new bike, make your expectations accordingly. A bike could go maybe up to 100,000 miles if the oil was changed meticulously and the proper preventative maintenence was done. However, that bike could also make it to 45,000 miles and need a new engine and other parts. Not saying that it will, just know what to expect and that the later is a very real possibility and you won't be dissapointed. I wouldn't take it on any cross country trips, but around town and elsewhere closer to home would make sure if it did break down you wouldn't be stranded 500 miles away with nobody to call.

$1000 for that bike is what he's asking. Not what you have to pay. I always assume people price their goods higher than what they expect to get from them unless they say "firm" on the price. The other thing is, a sale that is not in a retail store is usually always negotiable. If you have the mechanic check it out, everything is ok, or you know what needs to be fixed and are prepared to do that, offer accordingly. If it needs a new tire, take off about $150, two new tires take off $300. Maybe based on the condition offer him $700, but never full price. The last thing I will say is, only make an offer if you can afford it. A lot of people get bikes and can't afford them and then turn around and try to sell them used in a month or two and lose a lot of money and resent motorcycles for their own irresponsibility. I like buying from that situation but not selling. Keep is informed of what you decide or let us know if you have any more questions. We like to know if our epic posts are listened to, and just like to chat about bikes. Hope everything works out. --Justin

Quick Reply: Buying a Ninja with 39k miles? Good idea?