2005 Ninja 500R Stalling Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Default 2005 Ninja 500R Stalling Intermittently

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my Kawasaki Ninja 500R 2005 Model in November 2004. In April 2005 (Last Month) i had close to 575 miles on it without any problems at all. I took it to the dealership (where I purchased) for the 1st Break-in Oil Change. After the Oil Change was done, I went to pick-up the bike, it sounded like a cruiser bike, it sounded as if there was a leak in the exhaust somewhere. The dealership confirmed it as a problem, called me after 2 days and said that the problem was fixed, the air suction valve was loose and thus it was making that noise.

When I was riding from the dealership towards home, the bike hesitated for a second and then came back to normal, and then all of sudden it started bogging down, as if the fuel was emptying and it was time for reserve, so i put it in reserve and again it came back to normal. And then I didn't ride it till the past sunday.

This past sunday, i filled up gas and decided to ride the bike, for the first 15 miles, the bike ran without any problems and i was doing around 70mph, and then all of sudden, it started bogging down, as if it was out of fuel and needed to be in reserve, but then all of sudden, it came back to normal, and then after couple of miles, it started to bog down on me and sputtering and getting ready to stall, so for the heck of it, i put that thing in reserve and then it ran fine for couple of miles.

And then it started doing that intermittently, i was going 30 to 45mph and it would run normal for half a mile and then start to bog down, and i would try to give it some acceleration and then again it would pick up, again it would bog down, and sometimes it would just stall and wouldn't start, the starter would keep cranking but the bike wouldn't start, and then all of sudden it would start.

Some how i managed to get home and parked the bike, since it was Sunday, i couldn't contact the dealership either. Anyways, the same evening, i decide to give another shot, now when i start the bike, it started just fine and i took a small ride within my town and no problems. So i decide to take it back to the dealership on Monday for them to look at.

On Monday, I rode the bike for almost 30 miles from my house to the dealership and the bike did just fine without stalling or bogging down, not even once. I explained the above situation/scene to the dealership, they said that they will look at it. I got a call on Monday evening, saying that the dealership's tech rode the bike for 10 miles and couldn't duplicate the problem. It's been 3 days since I left the bike at the dealership, they still haven't seen the problem. As per them, they have pressure tested the engine, checked the fuel lines and the electricals and all that, everything appears to be working fine. They don't know what caused that stalling or boggin down.

And I hate to say it, but I have lost faith in that bike, because i don't know when it might stall again, and it can cause a major risk to my life. Can anyone here throw some light on this and figure out what could be the problem? I will appreciate the feedback from you guys.

Thanks for reading my story.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Default RE: 2005 Ninja 500R Stalling Intermittently

GET THAT AIR SUCTION VALVE FIXEDAND DONT PUT ANYTHING BUT THE HIGHEST GRADE OF FUEL IN IT, PLUS CHECK THE SPARK PLUGS CAUSE EVEN THOUGH U JUST GOT THE BIKE THEY MIGHT BE STARTING TO FOUL OUT A LITTLE BIT.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:16 AM

Sounds like ignition problem.
I had bad ground on the left ignition coil. Check both grounds on the coils, they've got to be clean and tightened down.
The dealer had charged me 100$ + for not finding the issue. Instead they wanted to rebuild the engine.
Check ignition cables
Check plugs (most likely OK)

keep faith the 500 is darn reliable

Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with kaw here. Also check all your electrical connections, plugs and wiring to fuel pump. If the problem persist try to find a different dealer or shop. Try to get a recommend on a shop. I myself do not trust the stealership at all.

Did they check your valves or adjust cams on this first service?

Post back with the out come for us and good luck.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:51 AM

Yea, I had some problems with my 500 too. I had done the first maintenance work and the 4000 mile maint too. I was ridding for about 30 to 40 miles went to fuel up and took off up a hill. She turned off in the middle of the hill and would not start at all. I go so nervous I thought I was going to get hit by a car. So I had to push her with the help of some friends home. It totally sucked. So I took her in the next day to the dealership and they told me that the Battery regulator was not working. So the battery was not recharging while ridding like it is supposed to. They replaced all the parts thank fully due to warranty. So know I am totally going to extend the warranty to another year or so it comes in handy for problems like that. So I am back to ridding and live it.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 PM

The problem didn't start untill you turned your petcock valve(fuel reserve switch). Sometimes the O-ring in the valve wears out or breaks off and makes it into your carb causing it to run rough and sometimes stall out. Move,push, and turn your valve to see if you see any fuel seeping from the valve if you do it's a good indication that your O-ring is worn : )

Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

talk about a revival, doesnt look like sajeed had an update on it.