03 500R - Clutch Kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 03 500R - Clutch Kit installation

I bought my bike used back in 2005 - someone rode the p*** out of it and it had been crashed, but aside from some asethic problems the bike has been very solid.

I put some sarachu exhaust pipes on it, have replaced the rear tire and done the front/rear brakes. I've put nearly 3000 miles on it in the last couple of months and it's handled really well (saved me an arm and a leg in gas!) but one problem persists since I've owned the bike.

Sometimes the bike slips out of gear. Particularly in 6th gear - when on the highway I grab the throttle sometimes and instead of response I get a rise in RPM's with no acceleration!

Anyway - I've ordered a stock clutch kit to see if a new plate and springs will correct the problem but I'm not exactly sure how the installation goes. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I don't think I'll have much trouble, but I"ve never done one so I'm hoping that members here can offer some advice or even instructions on how to do it. Right now the plan is to remove the cover and see what I can see!

Any pointers?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 03 500R - Clutch Kit installation

The best point I can give is to get the factory service manual and supplement. It has all of the steps, sequences, torque values you need to do the job right. It's about 60-$70 and it will certainly pay for itself over the long haul.
It's a pretty straightforward operation: drain the oil, remove the right crankcase cover, replace the plates and disks, but there are a dozen little crucial things involved (like the gasket sealer points) that would be difficult to describe/easy to forget by anyone offering you advice in here.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

oh boy - that doesn't sound good...haha! I've got the service manual but it's somewhere in storage. I thinking I may just see if the bike shop can do it for me.

You say above "Plates" and "Discs" - plural. I thought the guy said it was just a single plate - ?? I've looked at the fiche and thought that didn't sound right, but it is several plates/discs that come with the stock kit?

I'm starting to think I shouldn't mess with it.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

hmmm...ok, I found a 250 service manual supplement .pdf file - I think I can handle this. Getting to the the plates and replacing them seems to be a fairly quick process - I think I'm gonna go for it. I get the kit tomorrow or wednesday - I'll post after I get them installed and run it a bit.

I love bikes...

Old 06-25-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It takes 7 friction plates and 6 steel disks. Ordinarily I trust parts guys, but dealerships are getting cheaper and hiring kids with multiple facial piercings and no clue what they're doing. I suspect they're usually working there just long enough to get the employee discount on dirt bike parts. ALSO, the microfiche shows only two discs, but clearly states in the QTY column 7 and 6, which the kid may have missed.

You said it "slips" when accelerating in 6th. Does it re-engage when you back off on the throttle, or do you have to snick it back into gear? I hope you don't have to snick it back into gear, because that could mean a bent shift fork or other problem that would require splitting the engine cases to replace. Clutches are a piece of cake in comparison.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 06-26-2007, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the discs - I'll be sure to check them before I leave the store.

Yes, it does re-engage after I let off the throttle. Although I have been having another problem - sometimes when I run it in 6th gear at 80mph or so for a few miles the clutch won't downshift. This is very rare and usually I just have to let the clutch out a bit and it wll re-engage with a loud click and I can downshift. This seems to have improved when I just recently changed the oil, but it did happen again today.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Is this happening while you're at-speed, or when you've come to a stop? If the latter, you want to make an effort to downshift while you're coming to a stop, rather than stomping down on the shift-lever repeatedly at the stoplight.
Hopefully the new clutch plates and disks will cure this condition, otherwise you may have a bent or worn shift fork. It's a PITA to replace, and usually easier to work around by changing your riding habits.
If you have a picture of the guy who sold you this bike, I think you'd be doing us all a service by posting it so we know never to buy a used bike from the mechanically-antipathetic POS.
I get so furious when I see some dipstick abusing a machine that I root for the robots whenever I watch Terminator. And I was disappointed when August 29, 1997 came and went without incident. (Stupid Skynet!)
Treat your machine with respect and care and it will serve you faithfully.
-CCinC

Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

it is happening when I've pretty much come to a stop. Usually it happens when I have to get off the gas quick and I'm so busy braking that I don't have time to downshift. I have been making an effort to downshift while slowing down and it has pretty much prevented the problem.

Actually I bought the bike from a dealer here in Columbus, OH. I knew it's condition pretty much before I got it but I've put 5K on it since and the additional problems have come to light. I keep doing things here and there to improve it and I really like the bike. I'm ready for more power at this point but I'm not buying another bike this season. I'm really enjoying the 500, it has enough get up and go and I bet it's going to ride like a new bike after I do the clutch plates.

Now...anyone know where to get cheap torque wrenches??

Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

It was going GREAT! I got the cover off, removed the "operating clutch
plate" according the microfiche, removed the old discs, replace with
my news ones, put the plate back. Then things went bad.

I was putting on the plate with the springs, torque to 75inch pounds.
No sweat, bought a torque wrench just for the job...well, I didn't
feel it break and I busted the head off of one of the screws that holds
the springs/plate in! OMG! **** NO! DOH! I couldn't believe what I was
looking at.

Headed to the hardware store, got an easy out kit. Tapped the busted
screw top with a small drill bit and got that baby out with no
trouble! Phew!! haha, I have to buy a new bolt, probably just get some
springs too since my clutch kit didn't come with them, and a new
gasket for the cover. All is well again, well - not totally but much better than right after I busted that screw!

Off to ronayers.com for some parts!

EDIT: $45 for 5 springs, 2 bolts and a gasket shipped...jeez!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:58 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

All bolts after I play with a ride are tossed. They stretch too much and breakage is an issue as well. Glad that you were able to remove the mishap.

Quick Reply: 03 500R - Clutch Kit installation