Touring on a Ninja 250?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Ned
Default RE: Touring on a Ninja 250?

I, too, am new to this forum.

My previous motorcycle was a '84 Honda VT500. Like you I'm very seriously considering the 250.

If you haven't already done so I suggest you also visit www.Ninja250.com. There you can read of riders who have competed in and completed the Iron Butt Rally and done Saddle Sore and Bun Burner rides as well as trips to
Alaska. Clearly the 250 can be used for touring.

I once read a reply to a similar question on another sitethat stated "You can tour on anything. Depends on how comfortable you want to be." I suspect that's true.

Ride safe.

Ned

Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 PM

I hear of people doing it... but I also hear people say that the 250's run at very high RPM's when running 75-80 on the interstate for long periods of time. If this is true, doesnt that harm the engine? It cant be good for the bike? Am I misinformed?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: m249c

I hear of people doing it... but I also hear people say that the 250's run at very high RPM's when running 75-80 on the interstate for long periods of time. If this is true, doesnt that harm the engine? It cant be good for the bike? Am I misinformed?
No it doesnt harm them they like highrpms, the power band is around 11K. It wouldnt be there if youarent supposed to run it that high. In fact theyre better off if youkeep them around 6-7Kthese are also the rpms that the alternator has the mostoutput.

Check the oil and keep it topped off between changes. Only use NGK plugs and get the valves adjusted every 6K.

edited for plugs clarification.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:38 PM

thanks man. I will really enjoy this bike I am sure. I just hope these things arent a bitch to maintain....

Old 09-02-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I personlaly love the 250, dont like the interstates much, i love it on country roads and such where there are turns and it is a little more fun to ride, but i guess that would be on any bike, good luck on your descision

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Ian522

Hello ninja 250 owners,

Id rather spend it on a new bike than playing the used bike crap shoot game.

My question is, is the ninja 250 up to the task for touring?

1. How badly does the bike get blown around by the wind?

2. How bad is the vibration in the bars/pegs/seat at an indicated 65-70mph?

3. Is oil consumption a problem at these speeds?

3. Would I be insane to attempt a 1500 mile round trip?

Of course I would add some comfort mods like a corbin seat, etc. And I would likely stop every 100 miles or so to stretch, eat, take a leak, gas up, or whatever. I am 5'10 150 lbs. if it makes a difference.

I would appriciate any input. Thanks in advance.
I think you are smart buying new, for I think the oil consumption is tied into the break in. Mine uses no oil so far after the first oil change

I think the ninja 250 is a small sport tourer. I let my grandson take my seat apart and take a electric carving knife and cut the foam out and replaced it with memory foam. Its really comfortable so far but the longest I have been is 300 miles in one sitting.

The bike is lighter, so it gets pushed around more than the 20 ton monsters but nothing uncomfortable, at least, in my opinion.

Get some foam grips and the vibration is not worth mentioning--with stock grips, you will notice it after a while.

I am 5' 11" and weigh 245lbs, older than dirt.
I have 15/42 sprockets, pro oiler, handle bar risers and am going to install electric cruise control.

I am thinking of Georgia to Ill and back.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 AM

I have a Ninja 250 And i took a800 miles roundtrip with 50 lbs of gear and 1 stopped every 75 to 100 mile and i was fine.
I had the best time in the world. I only stopped that often because the guys I was with were on Buell Blasts. That is a 500cc single cyl.
My speed on the interstate was 70 to 80 And i used 91oct. gas. At 65 ish MPG. Ran like a top.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I guess the fact that guys have done huge road trips on these bikes proves that it can be done. I guess it just comes down to what comfort level you are willing to endure.

I like the fact that I can buy the bike brand new for only around $3k, and then spend the rest on accessories to make the bike more tour-worthy. (corbin seat, gel grips, taller windscreen, saddlebags, etc.) Make a 65mpg "mini-sport tourer."

I just might be crazy enough to try it next season.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I just might be crazy enough to try it next season.

hahaha, sounds good to me.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Default Speed @ RPM

There are a LOT of factors that go into that. Another forum has aCALCULATOR thatgives "indicated speed" and "true speed" based onsprocket ratios, tires sizes, etc.... pretty cool ... check it out.

http://faq.ninja250.org/speed/

I will also say that the 250 engine is designed for high RPMS. She's fine at lower speeds and just humms along the boulevard, but mine almost sounds happy when she gets up over 8k and seems to be really enjoying herself. Personally, however, I would not keep her there all day.

Quick Reply: Touring on a Ninja 250?