Technical Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Default Technical Advice please

Hey, so i have a 2002 Kawasaki EX250-R Sports bike. I bought it off of a mechanic, so i trust that the bike has been taking care of fairly well. I'd like to start by mentioning that I've had terrible experiences with mechanics and people trying to take care of my bike. I'm a 3rd year Drexel University student, studying Computer/Electrical Engineering. I've worked on cars since i was about 16. Nothing crazy, the usual maintenance, and then some electrical work. I'm having some issues with my motorcycle. At first i thought this was just me being an inexperienced rider, and not being absolutely sure of the mechanics of a bike. As time progressed i feel the problem has gotten worse.

Ok, so now that i got that out of the way the issue i'm having is the bike is having issues a.) overheating b.) accelerating at certain points [ as the temperature goes up it's hard getting past 65mph] c.) when at a complete stop and idling the rpm won't stabilize and basically choke, after trying to work with the idler nothing helped.

I took the bike to a Ceritified Kawasaki repair shop, and had it serviced for a tune-up. They said everything is fine, and they don't see any issues. I disagree as these issues at first were minor inconveniences, but are now becoming uncontrollable problems. I would appreciate any input, i'm personally a DIY type of guy, and don't mind getting my hand dirty. Unfortunately with a lack of experience i would appreciate solutions and possible redirection for instructions.

Thanks i hope this wasn't too long,
-David

Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

a: Flush the coolant system, verify cap pressure and system pressures. The small plastic pump impellor does deteriorate.

b: carb issue/synch or loose boot or vacuum line most likely

c: carb issue/synch or loose boot or vaccum line

Time to get some tools and get both hands dirty this time. Good luck

Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member

There's an old joke. If you visit the home of an electrician the lights won't work. If you visit the home of a plumber the toilet won't flush. I'm an IT consultant. My home computer systems work for me, but anyone else would have problems.

Experts frequently bodge their own gear, so don't take anything for granted.

Rob

Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

There's an old joke. If you visit the home of an electrician the lights won't work. If you visit the home of a plumber the toilet won't flush.
hahaha, so true, I have no Air Conditioning in my house, but yet I fix server room AC's. lol

Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by williamr
There's an old joke. If you visit the home of an electrician the lights won't work. If you visit the home of a plumber the toilet won't flush. I'm an IT consultant. My home computer systems work for me, but anyone else would have problems.

Experts frequently bodge their own gear, so don't take anything for granted.

Rob
I couldn't agree more, but the guy was very legitimate, and concerned his bike had a good owner. I don't think what is happening has to do with poor care of the bike.

On a side note, i'm in my 3rd year at Drexel University for Computer/Electrical Engineering with a background in Networking. I also am IT Certified, and currently am a PC Technician for retailers.

I was thinking that cleaning the Carburetor might do the trick. After doing some internet searching and talking about it with my grandfather (used to be an automotive mechanic) we agreed that it's most likely the Carb. Monday i'll be attempting at cleaning it out. I'll update here any progress.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

good luck with that

Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

im a mechanic and my daily driven cars and my bike are the very worst maintained and abused things i own. we dont want to do our job at home. so it never gets done.
id go for cleaning the carbs and making sure theres no leaks on the boots.
my bike is a 96 and it has never idled right since it was new. i think 250's just have a random idle.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by dsmracer
im a mechanic and my daily driven cars and my bike are the very worst maintained and abused things i own. we dont want to do our job at home. so it never gets done.
id go for cleaning the carbs and making sure theres no leaks on the boots.
my bike is a 96 and it has never idled right since it was new. i think 250's just have a random idle.
True, i'm not very experienced at taking my bike apart and working on the Carbs. If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, or tips, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

its actually pretty simple the hardest part is getting the carbs out and back in alot of pulling and pushing but just unscrew the screws and get a air compressure and blow out all the trash in them. and make sure you dont lose any screws you dont want any air getting into the carbs the bike wont run right. when u take off all the cables for the throtle make sure u seperate them thiers two and put them on the right conection when putting the carbs back on the bike.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

alos a lil tip it might help take a picture with your phone or camera before u take it off so u have a picture to look at when putting it back on i had a problem with putting a hose back in the wrong place spent 5 hours messing with it and that was all that was wrong.