storing bike for winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default storing bike for winter

in a month or 2 im going to put my bike in a freinds garage for winter, what do i need to do for the bike to store it away? do i need to disconnect the battery or anything?

Old 09-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Default RE: storing bike for winter

I would put some fuel stabilizer in the gas, and ride it for a few miles to mix it up, and get it into the carbs. I always fog my engines with fogging oil, but it's not always required. You should also put the bike on the centerstand, so it doesn't flat spot the tires from sitting so long. And yes, I'd disconnect the battery.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yep....

Fuel stabilizer in the gas..... Make sure you do an oil change before you park it, and after you get it out...... I would not disconnect the battery, but rather get a trickle charger/ maintainer for it... And at least start it once a week if possible, or once every two weeks. Just to help keep the oil circulated, etc. Would really help an extreme dry start situation come spring.

Spray most of the bike down with WD> keep all the wiring, rubber, etc looking good and protected.....

Wash and wax before you store it.

Just like CaddyDaddy said, put her on the center stand.

Lube the chain...

ANd most important.......... Give her a kiss before you put her down!!! lol

Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 AM

this is my first year with a bike but the guys i ride with a veterens and they love their bikes as much as i do! first i would put stabalizer and fill the tank all the way also put fresh oil in it and dont ride it and also change the plugs so they are fresh for next season and i would put a little more air in the tires but it dont matter to me because i will like to start the season on a new set anyway. my buddy also told me he does not disconect the battery on his and he has a gsxr 1000 2005 and his worked great when he went to start it. i live in canada next to detroit so our winters last at lleast 6 months if that helps were u are from. good luck

Old 09-26-2006, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I too might be getting a 250 soon and will need to store it winter time also. Is it alright to start it every now and then just for a couple minutes and then park it again or would it be better to just leave it all winter. The reason I ask is because I heard that if you dont physically ride it oil is not gettin anywhere. Any feed back will help thanks.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

to make sure your battery stays at peak charge use a battery tender.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: kawasakifan700
Is it alright to start it every now and then just for a couple minutes and then park it again or would it be better to just leave it all winter. The reason I ask is because I heard that if you dont physically ride it oil is not gettin anywhere. Any feed back will help thanks.
Just running an engine for a few minutes, and even idling for a long time doesn't get the engine up to the proper temperatures. This can cause water and excess fuel to build up in the oil, and it can turn acidic and hurt the engine. The proper way to store and engine for a long time, is to do what I mentioned earlier, as well as a battery tender, and then fog the engine with fogging oil. I know it's a pain to do on a bike, since the engine is buried so far in there, but it will protect the engine for the duration that you have it stored. Some people think that the engine will be fine just sitting without the fogging oil, but I don't take any chances of some water vapors getting in there and freezing up the rings. I have stored two of my cars in the winter this way for many years and have never had any problems.
It's really up to you how much you want to do, but it's a gamble!

Old 09-27-2006, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Just curious, but can anyone post up a link of what fuel stabizer and fogging oil looks like. Thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 09:51 PM

Just go to an auto parts store, and ask for Sta-Bil. That's one of the most popular brands of fuel stabilizer. As for fogging oil, it usually comes in an aerosol can, and the Eagle brand is what I use. Or just ask the person at the parts store, and they'll hook you up!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

OK Thanks

Quick Reply: storing bike for winter