rpm drops at increase of throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default rpm drops at increase of throttle

I've read a lot of threads on this forum and haven't come across the problem I've been having within the past week. I can't figure out what's going on so I'll see if anyone here has heard of it and can offer a suggestion.

This isn't a consistent problem, though I ride the bike a few times every day if the weather permits so it has happened often. I'm aware of the normal warm up process of my bike and the use of the choke and idle settings, yet sometimes I'll set the choke and while warming it up I'll go to ride it to warm it up faster but if I give it some throttle the rpms will jump higher slightly and then plummit down to around 500 rpms, then back up (if I release the throttle) to where it sits while choke is on (2-2.5krpm). It's almost as if when I give some throttle the engine actually chokes up and only sometimes when this problem occures the rpms will fluctuate. If I hold the throttle in to give it more gass the bike will stall.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: rpm drops at increase of throttle

you are drowning(flooding) the engine.this is why when you let go of the throtle and "cut" the gas the engine goes back in RPMs becuase it can breathe
you probably dont need to use the choke at all to get the bike warmed up, i dont use it

Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I suspected it was getting too much gass but if I let the choke out the rpms are too low and the bike would stall, I think...I'll try w/o the choke next time it does that but is it honestly healthy to let the bike idle around 500-600rpm? it sounds a little clunky that low.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Your right its not good to let it bang around that low. Does the problem go away when its warmed up?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

that idle is a little low, mine idles at about 1k

Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Idle warmed up should be 1250-1400 rpms.
With choke on some 250s its impossible to get it to idle below 3K which is fine as long as it comes down when choke is off and bike is warmed up.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-31-2007, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

When this problem occurs, once I start riding off and release the choke,the problemgoes away both cold and warmed up. One time I let it warm completely on the choke and when I tried to ride it still had this problem but I'm thinking maybe because the choke was still engaged that time.

Idle patterns:
warmed up completely: 1.2k-1.3k rpm
riding to warm-up, w/o choke: 900-1k rpm until it warms up. (then above rpms)
start w/ choke, on warmup: 2.5k rpm to warm up faster

Oh, and it's been doing this mostly in the middle of the night when its cooler out so I need the choke or the bike will probably stall.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:00 AM

If you can ride the bike then dont worry about it. They will change the way the startup all season. Theyre not like bikes with larger carbs so you cant compare them.

I will tell you that no bike runs well or at all with choke on after its warmed up. Its too much gas for it to use at one time youll drown it

Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

my bike doesnt even like to idle w/o choke until its warmed up, using the choke too much will tend to foul plugs.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll fiddle around with the bike when I get more time and let you know if i discover anything.

Quick Reply: rpm drops at increase of throttle