Newbee here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbee here!

Hello everyone Iam new to this forum. I will be getting a black 2007 Kawasaki 250R tommorow!! Iam so excited this well be my first motorcycle and my dad is gettin one as well. We can finally ride together. I have been reading alot of the info on this forum and first and foremost I would like to thank everyone for helping me make the decision to buy the kawa over the rebel and the virago 250's. It also has helped in convincing my dad that for the price nothing beats it. For all that want to know MSRP was $2,999 Iam gettin it for $3743 out the door. I have never ridden before and plan on taking the MSF course next summer since they no longer doing them at this time. I rode a small automatic (lol) 80 before when I was a kid and did a burnout and U turn in the grass and flew down this small slope past my friends, lol. Also I have ridden a manual 4 wheeler and shifted it fine but only through 2 gears. Now Iam not sure if that really counts but I was wondering if any of you all think that if I rode it around in the parking lot for a little and got the feel of it that I could manage to ride it home safely? Its only about 4 or 5 miles, mosty back roads and a very short section of 4 lane and a little of city driving, my dad would be driving behind me. My dad said he will ride it home but he is like around 300lbs, wide shouldered, big guy. Since it isnt broken it and we have a few big hills to come up plus your supposed to keep it below 6 or 7 grand, Iam a bit worried that he might bog the engine down and it may hurt it. Also the weight load is only 342lb. Plus his knees are not very good and he is worried about he driving position since he has always ridden cruisers. Do you all think the bike will be alright as well as the riding position?? I know that it says 4 grand for the first 500 miles but I have been reading some things and they say with the tolorences they have now in engines high rpm's or ok, its bogging the engine that is bad and racing it alot, which I will now be doing for awhile. Any help or awnswers would be greatly helpful. Thanks and I hope that I did not ramble on too long or bore anyone. No sleep tonight!! Later, Shawn

Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Newbee here!

just take it slow and safe & definitely get familiar with the bikes first.

also.. [:-][:-]shhh.. I wont tell Mr. Kawi that you rode it past 4k RPM.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new sled, and welcome to the forums!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I started on a 250...great bike to learn on. If you don't feel comfortable riding it home let your dad take care of it...you can always get used to the bike in your driveway before you try adding traffic to the equation. Have fun and be safe.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad we all could help you in your decision making process! You will have a great time on it.

Welcome!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 PM

haha thats a long paragraph....i run my bike like it owes me money....10 grand easy when that front tire lifts its all worth it....but on the road im a grandpa....shift was the easiest thing ever i thought i was going to be like my mustang but was way better

Old 10-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suprakawigrl

I started on a 250...great bike to learn on. If you don't feel comfortable riding it home let your dad take care of it...you can always get used to the bike in your driveway before you try adding traffic to the equation. Have fun and be safe.
Yeah if you are unsure the best thing to do would be let your dad handle it, from what I hear the 250 should have no problem pulling someone his size.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I got it!

Yeah I ended up letting my dad ride it home and Iam glad I did. I live in a trailer park and have been riding it around at 10-15mph all day, its soo awsome!! Tommorow is supposed to be nice and Iam goin to ride it around again a few times and then I think I might go for a 1-3 mile ride to get the feel of it a little. It kinda funny I was all worried about balancing it and I have no problem at all. Iam getting better at shifting and trying to practice using both brakes to stop. Also practicing starting off from a stop, had a few jerks and hard stops but getting used to it. I will post pictures soon. Thanks for the advice! Later, Shawn.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:24 AM

congrats on the bike and ya take it in a parking lot u would be amazed on how much u learn by urself[sm=happy046.gif] ride hard but safe and wear ur gear

Quick Reply: Newbee here!