Muzzy Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Muzzy Exhaust

My exhaust is rubbing against the swingarm because the previous owner dropped it so I'm thinking about a Muzzy exhaust. I saw a video clip of it and loved the sound, and it was a single pipe, not true dual exhaust. Question is, are they a full system from the exhaust ports or does it start at the mid section where the two brackets are?

This is the system I was looking at...

http://www.motoviniati.com/muzzy-rou...4-p-26015.html

Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy Exhaust

According to this http://search.cartserver.com/search/...s=100&go=GO%21 You are getting the full system.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 AM

You will also have to permenantly remove your center stand if you go with a muzzy.

Two Brothers has started making some slip ons I dont think you have to remove the center stand. They are available at Star Cycle but the wait for production is long, they are just the cans you dont have to replace from the headers back and may not have to rejet, which you WILL have to do with a muzzy which can be a PITA.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

What would a rejet include doing? Because I need to clean the carbs badly.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 AM

Rejetting involves changing the size of the main jet and possibly changing the size of the pilot jet those are the brass things screwed into the inside of the carb.

Jetting is rather involved and there are no set guidlines its hit and miss. You are unlikely to get it on the first try. The reason you have to rejet is because you will lean the bike out terribly with the muzzys. Also if you are due for a valve adj do this before rejettting because tight valves will cause the bike to run badly throwing off what you are trying to do with the jetting. If you run lean you can melt your valves.

All you are doing with the kit is correcting a problem you created by putting muzzys on the bike. You will not gain much poss 1-2hp performance wise you may even loose some in the top or middle band depending on how bad your rejet goes and where you live. Its recommended when rejetting to dyno the bike to make sure you got it right.

That said you can get kits with several sizes of jets some instructions and some other stuff for about $100. Whatever you do in any circumstance even if the kit tells you to DO NOT DRILL THE SLIDES you will have nothing but problems after that. You can also get jets at the dealer I paid $5 a piece for the ones I have, I am not changing the exhaust I already have a problem with running lean I just havent got around to putting them in.

You will also want to install some filter pods, K&N or UNI makes some decent ones, it will keep you from pounding the bike to peices trying to put the carbs back in for the 5th time because the rejetting is not working.
Some just install the pods without the muzzy to make the bike easier to maintain but this will also cause you to have to rejet.

Personally I wont mess with it, because the ninja is already maxed out performance wise it hinges on a fine balance of air intake, fuel and exhaust any little change in any of these causes the bike to pitch a huge fit. Before starting any of this make sure the bike is running properly first or you may never win.

And you will also have to cut out the lower fairing for the pipes to clear.

Dosnt this sound like fun for more noise? Makes bending the stock exhaust back sound much more appealing... well to me anyway.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Jetting is rather involved and there are no set guidlines its hit and miss. You are unlikely to get it on the first try.
I would not say involved, but after charting your changes on sizes, altitude change setups, barometer readings, etc, and the plug chop, it does take some effort. So once the initial part is done, look on your chart, get the close to be jets/pilots and you are golden.

Nice post mnosbor

Old 12-01-2006, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the info guys, I think I will stay away from the exhaust for now then. And I possibly need to do a valve adjustment considering how many miles are on the bike and I'm not sure when it was last done. Thanks again... BUT GOD IT SOUNDS SO NICE!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Mott Power

Thanks a lot for the info guys, I think I will stay away from the exhaust for now then. And I possibly need to do a valve adjustment considering how many miles are on the bike and I'm not sure when it was last done. Thanks again... BUT GOD IT SOUNDS SO NICE!
I have to giggle everytime I hear a 250 with a muzzy because back in the 80s I modded my moped to do 55mph, redid the exhaust out of Soporo beer cans and the 250 muzzy exhaust sounds just like the moped with beer can exhaust.

It was way cool for the moped but the 250 muzzy just gives me moped flashbacks when the rpms are up combined with the vibrations at 9k, I could close my eyes and travel back. So unfortunately it dosnt thrill me as much as it would others lol

Now when I upgraded the exhaust on my truck that made it sound nice and rumbly, thats a thrill So I understand the wanting more rumble thing.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

haha, please tell me you have scanned pictures of this moped!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:29 AM

I was still in High School and I havent had any luck tracking down any pics. Heres one with a kit on it, mine was like this one but silver http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/2/1031/

It wasnt quite as loud as the beer cans but by refining the exhaust I gained speed.

Quick Reply: Muzzy Exhaust