more power out of a 250

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Default more power out of a 250

hi I am looking for easy ways of geting more power out of my 05 250. i do not want to change the exhaust i have put over 8,500 miles on the bike sence april of last year and i have found that it is quick, just not enuff low end power but i also doant want to regear the bike and giveup the top end speed.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: more power out of a 250

Welcome to the forums, dilysi!

The 250R is gonna be VERY limited as far as engine mods you can do to it. Intake, fuel, and exhaust are about it, and if you do one of those mods, you'll have to do the others in order to keep the proper air/fuel ratio. The 250Rengine is made to have a very high RPMpeak horse power rating at the expense of loosing low-end torque. Compared to all other 250cc bike models at least sold in the States, the Ninja 250R out performs them all hands down. If you want more low end torque, you need a larger bike.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: dilysi

hi I am looking for easy ways of geting more power out of my 05 250. i do not want to change the exhaust i have put over 8,500 miles on the bike sence april of last year and i have found that it is quick, just not enuff low end power but i also doant want to regear the bike and giveup the top end speed.
Just curious what are you doing that you feel you dont have enough low end power?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:14 AM

i dont like how the bike dosent seem to move unless it is reving abouve 6000 rpm

Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Displacement my friend. But if you want mileage, keep it the same. You have a dependable ride, so you need to realize what you actually want.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dilysi

i dont like how the bike dosent seem to move unless it is reving abouve 6000 rpm
Its got a really high power band, its meant to be at high RPMs. Rev it out, you wont hurt it.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:42 AM

Its the nature of the Ninja, in fact thats what impresses me the most about it. For 250cc it kicks butt.

I love wringing its neck and it is none the worse for it, I try not to do it all the time but when I get the chance to get into it I do. It does do 0-60 in 5.5 sec but it is a test of skill if you arent competent you cant get the speed. Its a bike that requires actual skill to make it happen, thats important to me.

I also have a Katana 600 its basically boring and a ticket waiting to happen. Just calmly plinking through the gears puts you at 75 in a 45 if your not careful and busting the throttle wide open is ticket city.

I am also not a fan of wheelies so thats not important to me neither of my bikes can wheelie easily the its hard on the 250 mechanically and the Katana is like trying to wheelie a tank its freakin heavy at 460lbs. However you can stoppie easily even if you dont want to.

Whatever you do just make sure your skills match the cc your riding.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:52 AM

I will mention the one thing you want to keep an eye on every time you ride is the oil level. They waste oil for whatever reason and can be 1/4 q low in one day it will ruin your engine it barely holds any oil anyway even a little low is alot. If you take an over 100 mile ride make sure you check the oil at least once per 100mi at high rpm.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

You know, I've heard ofother people complaining about heavy oil consumptionwith their 250's, but it has always been an non-issue for me. I only add maybe a half quart between changes.

Like prom said, keep it in the upper RPM range especially in heavy city riding. The 250R has plenty of power to pull away from harm's way if you know how to take advantage of it's power band.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:59 AM

I havent had an issue per say, I have had it fine one evening and very low the next. I check mine after I ride unless I see a puddle in the morning.

Another good reason to check the oil is that at any time the petcock can fail and fills the carbs up with gas which in turn overflow into the oil, Ive personally seena 94 fill up the oil with gaswith the petcock turned off even.

My point is that the 250 holds barely 2 qt and my 600 holds almost 4, the other thing is that the cams use bushings and not bearings and will suffer more in a short amount of time from low oil. The first time I noticed the strange oil fluctuations I was like WTF then I researched and found it is normal for the 250 and not a problem just a characteristic and something to keep an eye on.

On the Katana forums I hear of no one that toasted their engine because they didnt check their oil for a week, on the 250 forums there are several a season. Just check the oil after every ride, I put it on the centerstand, take my helmet and jacket off hang them up and then check the level it takes 5 min and is worth every second.

Quick Reply: more power out of a 250