Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Jet Kit

Looking to get some more fuel in my engine, I heard about a cheap mod you can do to buy new needle jets for like 15 bucks and it will get close to the same results as a dynojet kit. Can't really find any information, thought someone might know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Jet Kit

Unless your modding the intake and or exhaust which leans it out a bit, jetting richer will only cause you to run rich which can cause it to bog as well as put some serious carbon buildup on your valves and plugs.

If you are running lean in general with stock everything then either your valves need to be adjusted or your carbs need to be taken apart and the jets and ports cleaned with a copper strand. Also the idle mixture screws are lean from the factory adjusting them to 2 1/2 turns should solve that issue.

When I got my bike (used) it ran OK but was lean (white plugs) and ran hotish. Later it started to idle and run like crap so I cleaned the carbs and that straightened it right out. I would have done a valve adjustment but it had one about 1K ago. I would have done one anyway if the cleaning didnt help.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, not sure exactly on what you are referring to Mott.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

on ninja250.net or whatever, i read an article about how you can get factory needle jets that run richer for like 15 bucks, details were really vague so i was seeing if anyone heard of this and or has tried it

Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 PM

you could shim the neadles up one or two possions

Old 08-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I shimmed my cv carbs, kept the stock springs and fine tuned the a/f screws. On the 7 that is with good results. For $15, prolly shims and springs in that kit.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 AM

You can shim the needles for under a dollar. Go to ace hardware and get 6 #4 brass washers. They are almost paper thin and 4mm wide.

Why or what do you hope to accomplish by doing this. You may make your bike run like crap in the mid range doing this.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I went to a 110 MJ, 3 brass washers on the needles and 2.75 out on the a/f screws for my pods......but I moved to 3k feet from sea level so I need to at least back off the a/f screws now, probably take a washer out of the needles too.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Can someone explain the shimming process to me? First time doing this and just a little wrench-nervous. I'm going to pick up some shims and put em in. How should I go about tuning the carbs though?

btw, bike is running lean with open pipes (yeah i know), i think my rings were leaking oil into the combustion chamber and caused some very nasty carbon build-up, figured if i was running a little richer it would help to burn off some of the carbon deposites as well. don't want to run too rich that it'll build carbon again though

Old 09-09-2007, 04:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm 3 brass washers five. But different areas call for different specs.

Quick Reply: Jet Kit