Idles wierd....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Default Idles wierd....

I just got a 2006 from my buddy, and when I looked at it last week it was idleing fine. When i started it up Saturday morning, the idle was only at about 900. And this was after letting it warm up. So i looked at the manual, and it says after warming up thoroughly adjust the idle speed to 1200-1400. I do this while it is idling but as soon asi pull the throttle a little, and let it out,to see if stays at that rpm it will either do one of two things, rev upto almost 2200 or go back down to around 900.

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so what resolved the issue? Any help would be very appretiated.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Idles wierd....

Although I have not had any idle issues with my '06 250R, I have heard of a few people complaining about erratic idle of their 250's.

Now, I do adjust my idle twice a year. Once for cold weather riding, and then again for summer riding. I try to keep my idle around 1100 RPMs. Slightly higher in the winter.

If you search the 250 section of the forums, I know somebody has explained the idle problem before.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: raibeart

I just got a 2006 from my buddy, and when I looked at it last week it was idleing fine. When i started it up Saturday morning, the idle was only at about 900. And this was after letting it warm up. So i looked at the manual, and it says after warming up thoroughly adjust the idle speed to 1200-1400. I do this while it is idling but as soon asi pull the throttle a little, and let it out,to see if stays at that rpm it will either do one of two things, rev upto almost 2200 or go back down to around 900.

Has anyone had this problem before, and if so what resolved the issue? Any help would be very appretiated.
Raibeart,
I got exact same problem. It starts up below 1000 RPM so I always have to adjust my idle. After riding for a while when I come to a stop, say, at a light or at a stop sign, I notice it's idleing above 2000 RPM. So what do I do? I adjust it again to match 1200-1400 range. At the next stop, idle is below 1000 RPM. And it just keeps going in circles like that. I'm not sure what the problem is. I think we need to synchronize the carbs or something....

Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

How many miles are on the bike and when was the last time the valves were adjusted?

My bike is starting to do this also, but I have 9867 on the odom and havn't adjusted the valves since I have had the bike.
I bought it with 4700miles. The valve clearance being bad could also cause a bad idle.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Mine has 1000 miles on it. At 500 went through a recommended check-up.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an 08 and it idles up and down until it gets really warmed up. Once it is warmed up I can give the throt a twist or two and it goes down below 2Krpm. It starts to climb back up close to 2Krpm but never goes over. To me, as long as it does not go over 2.5Krpm I am good. I use to ride dirt bikes and we kept it revd high. How long does anyone plan on letting it idle anyway? I let mine idle long enough to get warm and then I am moving. I don't plan on letting it idle after a top of 4-5minutes. It's not going to hurt anything less than 5 minutes.

Bryan

Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

It's just annoying when coming to a stop and the bike is trying to run >2000 rpms. Mine's been idling solid at 1300 since I bought it, but took it for a long ride on Saturday, which was the first time the temp guage went past the middle of the scale...causing the fan to cycle. It started idling fast at that point and I had to adjust it down. Warmed it up sunday morning for a ride and it idled around 900. I'm not sure if it's a 'problem' or just a tendency this bike has. I just cleared 200 miles on mine so I'm not sure if valve adjustment can be blamed, or if it's just a characteristic of the 250. My 1994 did the exact same thing....practically idling differently every time I came to a stop. I blamed the bike's age, but now I know differently. The day I picked up my '07 the sales guy even warned me that it's VERY common with this bike, and I tend to believe him considering they include a handy, easy touse idle screw...clearlyKawasaki expected idling inconsistencies.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you take it back to the dealer and ask the service tech instead of the sales guy? If you just hit 200, I would let them look at it and use up all of the warranty it allows. Im not sure about Kawi, but I know some of the other dealers will void out your warranty if you start making your own mods...

Im not going to touch my carb yet.It idles around 1800 after being warmed up and every once in a while it climbs close to 2K. I can then twist the throt and it will drop again. I think it suppose to idle high. I am wondering if because they are only 250's, they should stay high just like dirt bikes. That is the fun part of owning these little monsters. They are so light and have so much power for their little frames...

I say check the dealers tech heads and let them jack with your bike that way they are responsible for any mishaps, right?

Bryan

Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  2008250RIdleAdjuster.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  12.5 KB08 250R Found a FIX guys. I am attaching a picture so that you guys can try to adjust the idle speed. Left side of bike, straight up from the gear shift, there is a black looking **** that you can turn while it is idling. Let the bike warm up and ride it around the block once or twice. Come back let it stand and give the throt a twistand see where she is at. Turn the IDLE ADJUSTER **** either direction and watch her response.

My brother is a Harley tech and he looked at the service manual that I bought on the side, and this is where you make the adjustment. DO NOT touch any of the screws on the carb itself. Only play with the adjuster for the 2008. Not sure if the older models have this. If yours is older, then you need to get someone to adjust the entire jetting of the carb.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

That **** is standard on ALL 250R models. If you live in an area with hot summers and cold winters, you will need to adjust that **** to the desired RPMs once the weather goes from hot to cold, and vise-versa.

Do note however, there is a known problem that some people with 250's have that can't be corrected with the idle adjustment ****. This has been brought up in other threads, and it sounds to be internal within the carburetor itself.

Quick Reply: Idles wierd....