Help!!! Headlight, tail light and markers wont come on

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:32 AM
Default Help!!! Headlight, tail light and markers wont come on

My girlfriend has an 01ninja 250 and all of the sudden the headlight, tail light, and marker lights quit working. The brake and turn signals still work though. I've checked the headlight fuse and all the connections and cant find the problem. I found a relay for the turn signals but is there one for the headlight that I havent found yet? Please Help! Thanks in advance... [align=right][/align]

Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help!!! Headlight, tail light and markers wont come on

hmm, I do not have a 250. So you checked all of the fuses and they are good?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 AM

Yep. All the fuses seem to be fine. I even switched out the 10A headlight fuse witha new one just in case. No luck.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM

This might be a long shot but maybe one of the sockets in shorted out. Try and replace all of the bulbs or at least look at them and make sure they clean and have good contact.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Go get a cheap DC voltage tester, some are as little as 15.00. Then start at the sockets and work your way back, you will find the problem.

It is a pain in the arss to trouble shoot electrical by replacing parts, expensive too.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:11 AM

Ok Ill try these things and see what I come up with. Thanks! Ill keep u posted... This sucks![:@]

Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

NS, if he does not own a meter, what makes you think that he would understand or know how to check the electricaleven witha cheap $15 one that is available?

hahaha, I am not picking on your abilities mmfan,

You have a wiring schematic on this ride? Check the ground and all of the molex connections in relation to the issue since you are sure on the fuses. And the ride still runs with these electrical issues?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 AM

I do have a meter but I hadn't started tracing all the wiring quite yet. I was still hoping that there was possibly something simple that I was overlooking or didn't know about. The bike is running fine and there doesnt seem to be any other issues. I have checked all the connections and all seem to be good.The info and wiring diagram that I have show only one relay(turn signals) and the fuses that r located in the box. R there any other relays or in line fuses located anywhere else?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM

I dont have time to look myself (gotta run errands) but look at www.ronayers.com on their oem microfishe. I think theres 3 places there are fuses, 2 fuse boxes and one on the starter solenoid (doubt its that one) you should be able to look at the electrical system there.

My guess is your headlight bulb is fried, if you do replace it get a silverstar osram marked bulb from autozone $20 but well worth the $ its much brighter.

Im not 100% sure there are 2 fuse boxes so dont flame me if there arent, but for some reason I think there is.
edit>> just one fuse box. You might want to look into getting the servicemanuals base and supplement, theyre quite helpful.

I havent had many electrical problems, in fact they were self induced by messing around with the brake and turn signals from a fender elimination. I think it didnt affect the headlight but I never thought to check.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM

I found out that it was a bad relay inside the junction (fuse) box. It took a little while but finally traced it back to that. New one should be delivered in a few days. Thanks for all the help!

[sm=thanx.gif]

Quick Reply: Help!!! Headlight, tail light and markers wont come on