Debating the 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Debating the 250

I'm going to be getting a motorcycle soon. Starting around March or April it will be my daily ride to work, though my roommated has a car and we work the exact same hours (and guranfrickinteed to be at the same job for the next 3 years). So I need a bike I can ride daily, or at least a couple times a week. I've also got an image in my head of what I'd like the bike to look like after I make some changes (mostly cosmetic, a lot of cosmetic). At the same time, I also don't want to put time and money into a bike that will be nice, but still just a little puttering machine. Is it possible through jet kits and other means to significantly increase the power of the 250? Would I be better off just learning on a different, more powerful bike (500, 650), and if so which one. If I dropped the bike, I'm completely medically covered, and if I break myself, I get disability, and again, cosmetic damage probably won't be there once I'm done changing things out. So, if you think the 250 isn't going to be powerful enough, what bike would you suggest?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Debating the 250

welcome to KF

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you, sorry for any inclarities in my post but I've recently been dumbdowned by a concussion like injury.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to kf
i would either start out on a 250, 500 or the 650, those are all good bikes, the 650 is the more powerful of the bunch, but all three of them can kill you just the same, it is not about having medical coverage or getting disability, if you loose a limb or f-up by loosing control you can get run over and die, so disability aint worth a lick if u r dead.

i started on a 600 inline 4 when i was 19 and it scared the crap out of me, it scared me for about 8 years, until i finally decided to get a 250, and i am loving every thing about it, the 250 is easy to control, great aroud the city and awesome on gas, i average about 67mpg and i run it really hard. but that is just me. it is $3500 brand spanking new.

get a bike that is good for you, the one where you feel confortable, be safe and good luck

Old 10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. By mentioning I'm completely covered I was trying to stop the usual barage of 'it is dangerous' responses. I've driven for 7 years and haven't even been pulled over, I'm a very safe driver. Your info helped though, TALCA, thank you. I guess the next question, unless someone disuades me, is what are the advantages to a 2008 as oppossed to an earlier model. Any years to avoid? I'm definately leaning away from a brand spanking new one because chances are that it will get laid down at least once. But then again I plan on, over time, tinkering with the bike a good bit.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

the big advantage of the 08 is the cosmetics, and if you plan on changing that then I'd say go with the older models, they havent changed in 20 years so the only difference between years is color

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

2008 Has been completly redone it's got a lot nicer features to it then the previous models. And the 08 looks a million times better with adjustable suspension and a re-tuned engine. But the older 250 is still a great bike and very reliable.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting. But I'm also wary of making the 250 exactly like I want it and spend all that money only to have it not be powerful enough eventually. And while I might keep it, I certainly wouldn't want to build up two bikes that look very similar. Where is the fun in that.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

You'll have more fun going 80 mph on the 250 then you would ona 650, ect. Parts for the 250 will be cheaper, there are loads of parts on EbaY. The Ex250 handles very good, even though the suspension is sort of lousy. In the nasty twisties, the larger bikes will have difficulty keeping up with you (if you are adecent rider) or unless they are a great rider, lol. There is not much you can do to make it go a lot faster, but the old adage "it's more fun to drive a slow bike fast thana fast bike slow" is true, most of the time.Resale value on the Ex250 is quite good for a motorcycle, it's hard to go wrong with it if you take care of it, it is easy to sell.

As for the new 2008 design, I love it, but have yet to sit on one, it may or may not fit me. I have friends that have CBR's, ZX's ect.. and they complain quite a bit about the cost of ownership (insurance, parts, maintenance). The Ex250 must be a pretty good value, it's been around longer than just about anything, except perhaps the Honda Nighthawk 250 (eee-gad!).

scootertrog

Old 10-25-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ottslayer

Interesting. But I'm also wary of making the 250 exactly like I want it and spend all that money only to have it not be powerful enough eventually. And while I might keep it, I certainly wouldn't want to build up two bikes that look very similar. Where is the fun in that.
Well I would find a good deal on a used 250. Do a few mods to it and in about 6 months if you want a faster bike just keep the 250 around and upgrade. The 250 will allways be a fun bike to ride around on but when you have that need for speed you will have a faster bike around also.

Quick Reply: Debating the 250