cornering

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Default cornering

So I am a squid. Quite squidly.

Anyway I was cruising around today and saw some sports bike ahead of me, I decided to follow to see where he was going and he turned on the same road I was going to. A road filled with twisties through farmland.

So, me being the beginner I am, couldn't keep up at ALL. He disappeared.

I really dont know the purpose of this post, but it's just kinda been on my mind since it happened. I've heard the 250 can mash through corners like butter, how long did it take everybody before they were able to do it?

And on corners that have recommended speeds of 15 or 20...how fast can y'all go on them?

I guess I'm looking for some good tips.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: cornering

The ninja 250R is very "flickable" meaning you can toss it side to side very easily. I wouldn't recommend taking corners and twisties real fast if you still are running the original dunlop K630 tires. The K630's are unpredictable in my opinion. I've almost lost it with them a few times. They just don't grip very well.

A lot of 250 riders seem to really like the pirelli sport demons. I would buy very good tires before taking thinking about hard cornering.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea a few times with easy corners the bike felt like it was slidding a little. It makes me feel unstable cornering with the stock lops.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Here are my 2 cents. I base this info on my riding, but mostly on my 2 seasons spent roadracing.

If you can do it, some track time is the best and SAFEST way to learn how to get through corners. No worry about who is coming the other way around the next corner.

Next best would be to find a VERY deserted roador a large empty parking lot that has good pavement.

In either case,it is always a possibility that you mightgo down.. You probably will not. Hopefully you will not. But it can happen especially if you are really leaned over.

The suggestion about tires is a good one. OEM tires are not known for their adhesion.

The parking lot is also a great place to get the hang of countersteering ("push forward on the left bar to go left")

Good luck,
John

Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM

I was just checking out bikebandit on their pirelli tires and didn't see any in the sizes 100/80 or 130/80

what exactly do those numbers mean?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

The tire width and the tire height!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I've raced an 06 ZX-6R before around an abondon track that's nearby here, wasn't a very fast track or long but had some nice turns and decent little straights. I kept right on his *** the whole time and out broke him into the corners. I could tell he was struggling to lean the bike into corners but I almost over took him at one point. 4x more power is what really kept him ahead. But yeah, real flickable bike, slices nicely into turns. Just remember to always look where you're going, not where you are. Just takes some confidence to really push the bike in the corners though.

I just bought some 90's for the bike, waiting for the front tire to get in but I'm curious to see how they feel compared to the 80's and how it affects the handling.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I really dont know the purpose of this post, but it's just kinda been on my mind since it happened.
Once the setup is nice, the 250 wouldbe a kick in the butt to ride. Each to their own though.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 AM

I have K630s on my Ninjette and hate em. I bought some Bridgestone Battlax BT45s... havent put them on yet... any one have any experiences with these tires?

Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Have had my 90's on for a while and like them, the tires themselves could be better but for 97 bucks plus shipping they're a steal almost. Dips into corners easier and decent stability.

Quick Reply: cornering