choke lever

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Default choke lever

Hello all... im new to this forum and just bought a 2006 250 and am having trouble starting it... i set the choke all the way down and once i start it the RPM starts to increase so i raise the choke a little and it kills thebike...I wonder if everyone else has to play with the choke as much as i do in order for it to start?

oh yaa I also have only 6 miles on it but ive had it for about two weeks now waiting for the msf course...

Old 03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: choke lever

Newrider250, first off...

Welcome to the forums! Always glad to see a fellow new 250 rider.

As to your choke problem, just know that our bikes are cold-blooded. For the most part I set mine to half choke and crank her up and that does the trick (these days it's 45 degree weather but full choke when colder). And what I usually end up doing is fiddling with the choke to let it run at about 2000-3000 RPM. It will take about a minute or more on choke before you can turn the choke off. Always let your bike warm up, I think someone recommended 5 minutes or so but never run the bike right out. You want the oil to start going through the motor and get everything nice and smooth.

While you're waiting for it to start go through the pre-ride checks (T-CLOCS if MSF memory serves me well). Oil level, tire pressure, signal lights working, horn, brake lights, etc etc etc. If it's cold out warm your tires a bit by going around the block a few times. Make sure you have proper gear on even when you're going around the block and lastly what's worse than cold tires is a cold brain. Hopefully as you prep the bike and your gear you're mind should be set on the ride. Steering, braking, looking out for killer cars, left-turners, looking out for gravel in the road, etc etc etc.

Again, welcome to the forums!

One last thing, have you voted for Bike of the Month yet? You do know which one to vote for right?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, hope this helps:

apply choke and start bike.

Bike shoud iddle at a higher rpm than normal, around 2200.

Let bike warm up and turn off choke. Bike should idle at normal rpm around 1100.

If your choke is atomatic it will drop in rpms after a couple on mins by itself and then you can return the choke lever to the normal position.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 PM

You may have your idle set too low also....I have to full choke mine for a min and then slowly bring it down. When it's cold it does take alot longer.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Idle adjustment **** should be a little below the petcock in case you were wondering newrider250 but yeah, these 250's seem to be cold-blooded. I've only been able to start twice (in 3 weeks) without any kind of choke.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Good advice Mr. Toad! When I start mine, put the choke on, leave it long enough to check the bike over - put on gear - then she's usually ready to go!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:20 PM

thanks alot for all the information guys...Ill give it another try when I get homed.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:46 PM

ok uhmif i ride every day... do i really have to check the tires/lights/oil every single time i ride?? say i ride back and forth to work.. id have to check it twice a day before i ride...?

that seems a little extreme to me.....

Old 05-25-2007, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Check your oileverytime. The other stuff atleast once a week give your bike a good run through.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 PM

just making sure there is enough oil every time?

Quick Reply: choke lever