changig headlight HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Default changig headlight HELP

Ok so I bought a H4 Silverstar headlight. The dealer wanted $35 to put it in so I figured I would try this mself. I cant for the life of me reach down in there and get it out. Someone reccommended taking fairing off and headlight bracket but that looks extremely complicated to change a headlight. If I have to take off fairing etc. what is envolved in this. I am assuming you take off mirrors, unhook turn signals, take off windshield, etc. WHat else? Also, in taking off windshield how would I not lose those little clips that go on the back, I cant reach my hand in there to keep them from falling down. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: changig headlight HELP

Taking off the front fairing is the only way I can see getting to it. That isn't hard to do, just a few allen screws here and there.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 AM

yeah but you need to take off mirrors and turn signals and windshield right? And on the windshield how do you keep thiose plastic clips on the back from falling?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Those plastic pieces will keep in place as long as you're gentle. The turn signals are easily disconnected with the bullet connectors, and the mirrors are only held on with one bolt per side. Anybody could do this.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

In case you don't know, make sure never to handle the glass part of the bulb with your fingers. you don't want any oils from your hands to transfer to the glass due to the high heat the bulbsproduce. (that will cause hot spots which will shorten the life of the bulb, or in some cases make the bulb explode.)

Old 05-30-2007, 12:42 AM

my turn signals are cutom and they didnt fit in stock connectors so I had to spliceand tape to all hell with electrical tape, so it will be a little more complicated. And those little plastic pieces on my bike want to fall pretty easily. I guess I will give it a shot and see how everything goes. When you screw the screws for the windshiled back in will those plastic pieces stay withoutphysically holding them, b/c I cant get my hands down far enough for the bottom ones to hold them. Sorry if I am asking dumb questions but Iam not very inclined with this kind of stuff. Thanks for your ehlp though

Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I was able to reinstall my windshield screws without the round clips falling out. Like I said, you have to be fairly gentle.Otherwise, just find something thin you can stick behind to hold them in place. As far as your signals are concerned, you may want to buy quick disconnects for the wires. I have custom signals also, and I just cut off the original signal connectors and put them on the new signals.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 PM

im glad this thread came up because i was thinking about installing a silverstar.. for all that work, it seems like the 35 at the dealer might just be worth it... seems complicated. i know for my truck they want you to take the whole damn headlight out.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Nonsense![8D] If you know how to work a screwdriver, you can change the bulb on this bike. It really is not complicated at all.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

It's not bad. Took me less than an hour to pull the old one out, notice the low beam had actually burned out and not a wire, then get one off of my van to switch out, and finish everything up and test it.

All you need is a screw driver for the faring, an allen wrench for the mirrors, and a socket set, or wrench, for the headlight housing.

Unscrew the screws for the faring, the two allen bolts, one on each mirror, disconnect the signals, or just let the faring hang loose. Then use the socket, wrench, or I guess even crescent wrench on the 4 bolts holding the housing in. That comes off, then the socket pops off, which is a little hard to pull out. There's a little metal clip preventing the bulb from coming off, twist the end out and the bulb comes out. Reverse order to replace, and test it out.

I used a cheap bulb, the one from my van, but it's a lot brighter, and has a blue hue to it. I paid $30 shipped for my Astro's pair of sealed-beam projector-style (hahaha) headlights. Replacement H4s are $5 shipped, but have not arrived yet. I guess they're not considered "overnight parts from Japan", so I guess I can't be on The F&F...

I guess I'm just saying, it's simple, simple, simple to do. If anybody else has any trouble, let me know, I can possibly post a video, although I'm going on a 6-day vacation on Wednesday.

Quick Reply: changig headlight HELP