Bike Size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Default Bike Size?

I was leaning towards buying a used 250, even though it isn't the safest on the interstate and I am planning on driving from Little Rock Arkansas to Tampa Florida with my family (one person on each of our bikes). I know little on bikes, but I am desperately searching for more info. I had decided on going with a 500 but when when I went to the dealership, I was blown away! When did the 250 and 500 get so large? I live near two 500r bikes, but they were smaller than new 250s! I understood that Kawasaki has changed little throughout the years, but this appears to be a large difference. Am I just imagining this, or is there a difference in size. The new bikes look like they are on steroids! I'm worried about payments on a bike from a dealership, so I want to go cheap, unless I buy one out of the paper, but I prefer to know that I am getting a good bike when I buy it, not afterwards half way to Florida. Can someone help me?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike Size?

Once you get either one of those bikes outby themselves, they won't look as large.

If you're gonna go on that long of a trip all the way to Florida from Arkansas, do yourself a favor and get a large bike. Let me also tell ya that the 250R's seatis only tolerable forabout an hour before your *** goes numb. I felt like I was going to die after riding my 250 for about two hours! At the very least, get a good seat cushion for a long trip. Also, riding my 250R on the highway at about 75MPH makes the engine scream at about 9-10.5k RPM! That's getting close to redline. Doing that all the way to Florida would make me cringe![&:]

Old 03-01-2007, 04:18 AM

So, I like the 500, I want a newer 500. Now all I have to do is find a way to come up with the money. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Mark my redline is at 13k rpm on my bike...at 10k rpms ya stillhave 3k til redline. I've ridden my bike for 3+ hours before...all interstate and my butt never got tired and was doing between 85 and 110 the whole way. I'm sure it just depends on the person tho.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:26 AM

Alright DevilGirl, would you trust your bike on a 8 hour ride (all interstate? My dad's riding a BMW touring bike. I think that we are getting two totally different bikes, for two totally different reasons. He should drive his bike to Florida, and I should fly to Florida. This trip is the only thing keeping me from saving up for teh 250. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Engine RPM depends on if the sprockets were changed with a higer/lower tooth count. DG you probably have a lower count rear sprocket than factory. Just my guess.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes. I would take an 8 hour ride on my bike all interstate....as a matter of fact OD and I are gonna do that this summer. I wish I still lived in AR and I would let you ride mine. I bought mine used for a reason....simply that in case (since its my first sport bike) I laid it down I wouldn't have wrecked an expensive bike. I paid 2K cash for my bike and it only had 4K miles on it. That was August of '06. I put 2k miles on it in no time! If you want a 500 go for it man.

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/road.../05kaw250r.htm 250 Specs
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/road.../05kaw500r.htm 500 Specs
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/road.../06kawzx6r.htm ZX-6R

Its all about power and money. Just like everything else in life.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope....its all stock except the tires and I just got those 2 weeks ago. It was the same before that.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 AM

DG-I'm going with you on this one. You seem really conservative when it comes to buying and riding. I want a reliable and cheap bike just to learn from, so when i am ready and out of school, I can upgrade. Thanks alot. I'm convinced. I'm going with the 250! Oh yeah, double yay, I will quit triple and quadruple posting now!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I didn't the point of buying a bike I might possibly screw up in the first week that I had it LOL..... I did lay it down the 2nd day I had it. nothing bad....the bike had no damage...I got a lil road rash on my right elbow and some bruises but i healed and I got right back up on it and took her for a spin!

Quick Reply: Bike Size?