Am I too Big for a Ninja 250r?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Default Am I too Big for a Ninja 250r?

Hello everyone......I need some help!!!

I am looking to start riding. I have been told by many an "experienced" rider that the Ninja 250r would be a great starter bike. I read up alot on the bike and realize it really is a great bike. The new desing is great also. The only problem is....I AM A BIG GUY!!!!

I stand just shy of 6'3" and weigh about 240. I am in good shape as I lift alot, but was wondering....AM I TOO BIG FOR THIS BIKE?

Most posts I have read about bigger guys say that it is great....some of the guys were even in the 300 lb range........
Of course the Ninja 65r would be a better option but it is also more expensive..I am not wanting to spend more than $4000.

I JUST WANT SOME ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Am I too Big for a Ninja 250r?

should have not problem with your weight - it might feel a little short - and you probably won't want a passenger on the back - look at the 500 as an option also

Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

No, I don't think you're too big. But 240lbs is gonna slow her down a little. Plus, the soft suspension on the 250 won't handle the extra weight as well either. If you can find a used, larger bike in the same price range, that may be a better option.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I am about your size and I went for the 650r. I pick up a new 07 and almost save a grand over a 08. Plus I got the color I wanted blue. good luck

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice. This might be a stupid question, but am I going to dwarf this bike? Basically asking, am I going to look silly?

Ill only be riding this bike a few nights a week and on the weekends. I have 2 kids and not alot of time. I dont need to be out there racing!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 PM

One more thiing......if I were to look for a bigger bike used...whats too many miles? I will probably only put 3000 miles a year on it regardless..and I dont know how to work on bikes either....i dont want to buy a bike and have to spend all kinds of $$$ keeping it up

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of my friends bought 250r's for their first bikes. They are nice little bikes. I've ridden them a few times and i'm 6'2" and 250lbs. They are a little sluggish compared to my 636 but not a bad bike to start learning on. If you do start riding a lot you will get bored of it quickly though.... But it all depends on how much riding you do.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Joker

When you say sluggish...you are comparing that to a bigger, faster bike..correct? I have never been on a bike, so when I get on a 250r i will have nothing to compare it to. I guess my qustion is....Is it so sluggish that even a guy that has never ridden a bike will get off and say..."man that was sluggish"?

Just trying to cover all by basis guys....thanks for all the advice so far!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a zippy bike, but it hardly hasany torque. This is especially bad when you add extra weight. I have ridden with a few passengers before, making the total weight around 270-280. It really lugs in the lower rpms, but does alright 7K on up.

You could say the best weight for a rider of this bike would be about 200lbs and lower if you're expecting any moderate performance and handling out of it.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

It's a zippy bike, but it hardly hasany torque. This is especially bad when you add extra weight. I have ridden with a few passengers before, making the total weight around 270-280. It really lugs in the lower rpms, but does alright 7K on up.

You could say the best weight for a rider of this bike would be about 200lbs and lower if you're expecting any moderate performance and handling out of it.

Yeah I must agree. Im a small guy, but I have had my buddie on it with a combined weight right at the limit, about 340lb. Anywhere below 6-7k it wont pick up speed quick but after that it picks up good, especially at like 9k. I find for just riding around I shift at about 3500-4000, but with my friend on the back I shift at more like 5500-6500 and its fine. It also seems to handle the weight well, at least for me, even ripping around corners it grips and feel planted. This is my first bike and I have nothing to compare it to but I know what feels comfortable. So yeah I think you will be fine. Good luck and safe riding! Oh BTW markmeiteil that pic u have of the cat is awesome. Is it your cat? If so how did u get it to make that face, lol, its soo funny.

Quick Reply: Am I too Big for a Ninja 250r?