2009 Ninja250: Install 12v Adaptor for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Question 2009 Ninja250: Install 12v Adaptor for GPS

I just purchased the new 2009 Ninja Kawasaki and LOVE it!!

I've been wanting to install a 12v car adapter to my bike for my GPS unit. How would I go about installing it? Any information and or diagrams would be very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by BlazzinNinja09; 03-04-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

SeEveral options. Easiest is direct off the battery through a line fuse - always fit a fuse - but don't forget to unplug anything in it when you switch off the motor.

Better is to wire it through a relay. Use any ignition switched supply - tail lamp is a good one - to call the relay. Calling coil doesn't need additional fusing and is low current draw.

Limit the main circuit to 10A. And fuse it.

Rob

Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

So what you're saying is, the best way is to wire it through the Tail light, and therefore it would only work when the bike is running? And if so, how would I apply a 10A fuse if I took on that approach?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I just installed a 12v car adapter for my 2009 Ninja Kawasaki and it runs great!!

To do this, I bought an Auxiliary Power Source (12 volt) from Wal-Mart and some electric tape. I taped into the Break light and installed it under the passenger seat of my bike. I then ran the cord through the frame of my bike and now… I have my GPS running on external power and now I don’t need to worry about my battery life. Thanks for your HELP!!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlazzinNinja09
So what you're saying is, the best way is to wire it through the Tail light, and therefore it would only work when the bike is running? And if so, how would I apply a 10A fuse if I took on that approach?
Not quite. there are effectively two circuits. Wire the GPS through a relay - battery/line fuse/relay/distribution is the sequence. That's the main supply circuit and can be used as a general fused accessory supply for accessories up to about 100W total draw. Then use the tail light power to call the relay. That's the second circuit, if you like. This second circuit, to call the relay, is low current and is adequately protected by the existing tail light fuse. The gps - and any other accessories using the circuit - will only work when the ignition is switched on, which is the general idea, to stop you battery being inadvertently drained.

GPS remembers where it is when switched off, so position acquisition is only a couple of seconds when it's switched back on. If the GPS unit is moved any great distance - more than a few miles - when it's switched off, then position acquisition can take a few minutes. GPS is power hungry and if the bike isn't running it'll flatten the bike battery surprisingly quickly.

Running the auxilliary socket directly off the tail light isn't the best idea, as that circuit isn't designed to deliver any real power. Don't attempt to run anything like heated grips through that socket or you'll eventually fry the wiring.

Rob

Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

As of right now, I have it wired directly to the tail light and therefore works only when the bike is running. All I'm using this for, is the GPS. With the way I have it set-up now, is it safe for riding and keeping?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

You're right. The tail lights does not have enough power to keep the GPS unit going. Today I took my bike for a test run and once I accelerated over 55, the GPS disconnected the power supply.

I've been looking at my manual and it seems that I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where the wire is I need to tap into. You mention above that there are a few things to tap into. How could I make it even more simple but not run it directly through the battery? I want it to work when the bike is on and then shut off when its off.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Like I said, use a relay. Your tail light tap will operate the relay. Connect the GPS through the relay to the battery thropugh a fuse.

Y0ur relay will have 4 connections. One to the tail light tap, one to gropund. They'll be labelled. The other two operate as a switch that closes when the tail light circuit is live. Connect one of those to the battery through a fuse, and the other to the GPS. When the tail light circuit goes dead, the switch part of the relay switches off the GPS.

Rob

Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Like was mentioned, run the 12v plug straight to the battery using an in-line fuse. That way you can do 3 things.

1. You can run any accessory you want.
2. You can top off the battery with a maintainer without having to remove a cover ever again.
3. you can jump across between another bike if you battery gets low.

I have tried all three and it works perfect!

Instant battery plug
Name:  100_5945.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  130.2 KB

Mini jumper cables
Name:  100_5946.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  118.5 KB

12v plug with water tight cap
Install pics
Name:  P8186949.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  P8186948.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  61.8 KB

Now I do realize that we have different bikes, but the principles are the same and I'm sure you can find a cool mounting place for yours.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the comments on how to do this. I just installed my 12v car adapter and instead of having it mounted on the bike in the front, I have it kept inside the passenger seat. from there I have everything plugged in and the wire for my GPS is zip tied along the other wires and goes straight to the handle bars where my GPS is. Everything is kept hidden and it works flawlessly!!

Quick Reply: 2009 Ninja250: Install 12v Adaptor for GPS