New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Worst possible scenario

Old 02-19-2006, 05:07 AM
Default Worst possible scenario

I was riding on the 91 freeway going about 75-85 when a sweatshirt was grabbed by the chain and pulled into the chain housing. The housing broke, the engine died, the chain popped off the back sprocket and the back tired locked up. After sliding to a stop (staying upright thank god) I was able to see that the chain was wedged against the tire and the frame and that the sweatshirt was still hanging pretty much completely in the housing. I am trying to anticipate what the cost is going to be or what I need to look for in the area of damage. Has anyone had this type of problem before or know where I should start. I'm afraid to take anything apart in fear of causing more damage. Any info would help.

thx.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Worst possible scenario

the only way to tell whats wrong is to start removing things and figure it out. where abouts on the 91 were you ? btw welcome.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

DUDE, your one lucky bastard.... glad to hear you made it through ok... but ya like evil636 said, you need to take thing apart to find out whats broken.... or if your not comfortable about taking your bike apart, then your only option is to take it to the stealership... so good luck with that... and i'm sure you won't be riding around with your sweatshirt hanging off you again... well welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay....

Old 02-19-2006, 09:27 PM

I was passing Madison on the 91 in Riverside. I was lucky that another rider stopped to help pick up the rear end so we could wheel it to the shoulder since I was in the carpool lane. Anyways I was thinking about taking off the cover but I would like a repair manual for this bike. Is there a manual for 04 zx-10's? I had one for my 89 zx-10 but haven't found one for this one yet.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

rather that wait for a repair manuel, take pictures with a digi cam as you remove one piece at a time. you can try a dealer or even e bay for a manuel but those books alone might cost more then everything you need to get it rolling again. if you were anywhere close to me id help you out.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 PM

I'll take some pics today and post them. If you don't mind let me know what you think and where I should start. I spoke to the dealership and they told me to bring the bike into the shop. They also told me that it could have cracked the engine or caused a problem with the frame and chain area. Anyways the worst case scenario on the phone was 3500.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 PM

You should post some pic's of what it looks like. I wanna laugh at your crazyness... LOL

Glad your ok.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

its possible the chain cracked the case but youll never know till you tear it down. if you can fix it yourself, worst case 1000.00 bucks. if you tear it down and its not as bad as it seems and the case is good, new sprockets and a chain and few other things. was it leaking anything out of the front sprocket area ?

Old 02-19-2006, 10:25 PM

no fluid leakage at all. just a sweatshirt hanging from the cracked cover and a drooping chain jammed between the sprocket, frame, and tire.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

get some pics, i gotta see this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst possible scenario