Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Worst possible scenario (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/worst-possible-scenario-2442/)

Quicke 02-19-2006 05:07 AM

Worst possible scenario

I was riding on the 91 freeway going about 75-85 when a sweatshirt was grabbed by the chain and pulled into the chain housing. The housing broke, the engine died, the chain popped off the back sprocket and the back tired locked up. After sliding to a stop (staying upright thank god) I was able to see that the chain was wedged against the tire and the frame and that the sweatshirt was still hanging pretty much completely in the housing. I am trying to anticipate what the cost is going to be or what I need to look for in the area of damage. Has anyone had this type of problem before or know where I should start. I'm afraid to take anything apart in fear of causing more damage. Any info would help.

thx. :eek:

evil636 02-19-2006 07:36 AM

RE: Worst possible scenario

the only way to tell whats wrong is to start removing things and figure it out. where abouts on the 91 were you ? btw welcome.

MAD KAW 02-19-2006 09:17 AM

DUDE, your one lucky bastard.... glad to hear you made it through ok... but ya like evil636 said, you need to take thing apart to find out whats broken.... or if your not comfortable about taking your bike apart, then your only option is to take it to the stealership... so good luck with that... and i'm sure you won't be riding around with your sweatshirt hanging off you again... well welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay....

Quicke 02-19-2006 09:27 PM

I was passing Madison on the 91 in Riverside. I was lucky that another rider stopped to help pick up the rear end so we could wheel it to the shoulder since I was in the carpool lane. Anyways I was thinking about taking off the cover but I would like a repair manual for this bike. Is there a manual for 04 zx-10's? I had one for my 89 zx-10 but haven't found one for this one yet.

evil636 02-19-2006 09:38 PM

rather that wait for a repair manuel, take pictures with a digi cam as you remove one piece at a time. you can try a dealer or even e bay for a manuel but those books alone might cost more then everything you need to get it rolling again. if you were anywhere close to me id help you out.

Quicke 02-19-2006 09:51 PM

I'll take some pics today and post them. If you don't mind let me know what you think and where I should start. I spoke to the dealership and they told me to bring the bike into the shop. They also told me that it could have cracked the engine or caused a problem with the frame and chain area. Anyways the worst case scenario on the phone was 3500.

Vasmel22 02-19-2006 09:56 PM

You should post some pic's of what it looks like. I wanna laugh at your crazyness... LOL

Glad your ok.

evil636 02-19-2006 10:16 PM

its possible the chain cracked the case but youll never know till you tear it down. if you can fix it yourself, worst case 1000.00 bucks. if you tear it down and its not as bad as it seems and the case is good, new sprockets and a chain and few other things. was it leaking anything out of the front sprocket area ?

Quicke 02-19-2006 10:25 PM

no fluid leakage at all. just a sweatshirt hanging from the cracked cover and a drooping chain jammed between the sprocket, frame, and tire.

evil636 02-19-2006 10:53 PM

get some pics, i gotta see this.

Quicke 02-20-2006 05:11 AM

Here are the pics of this rediculous problem. Started cutting away the sweatshirt but still a lot left.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1357/FE0FA32D1A894F649CCA856957309D15.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1357/C4B683E0E0B54C6BABF69FED0BAF9A29.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1357/0AF804339EFA40C5AB318143EBD10E2C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1357/CD01120F1B6F46699CC33100C60BA62B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1357/7A58B0FE7C054FACADFC794826DD8626.jpg[/IMG]

evil636 02-20-2006 05:47 AM

holy crap wow !! i dont think its as bad as your thinking it is. if you have a stand, get the rear wheel off, then the chain. just from looking at the pics it looks like your going to need a front and rear sprocket and a new chain and from your experience some new underwear and a backpack.

are you in the 909/951 area ?

BigRig18Wheeler 02-20-2006 07:07 AM

When your tire locked up doing 75 mph and you didn't dump the bike, that's pretty impressive right there. But, at least you can get a new sweater at www.walmart.com !! J/K Just wanted to say glad you're okay, coulda been a lot worse. I bet you got a heck of a flat spot on that rear tire.

ZX12Rider 02-20-2006 04:09 PM

[sm=jawdrop.gif] That is crazy! Glad you managed to keep it upright and get off the road! But just out of curiosity - was the sweatshirt on the bike with you or was it laying on the road?

Hope you get her all fixed up soon!

MAD KAW 02-20-2006 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Vasmel22

You should post some pic's of what it looks like. I wanna laugh at your crazyness... LOL

Glad your ok.

LMAO..... that's too funny...

MAD KAW 02-20-2006 06:04 PM

hey bro, i doesn't look too bad... but evil said you should see if you could take the rear off and start picking at it... i think once you get all that sh!t out you'll be ok...

Gerg 02-20-2006 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: evil636
holy crap wow !! i dont think its as bad as your thinking it is. if you have a stand, get the rear wheel off, then the chain. just from looking at the pics it looks like your going to need a front and rear sprocket and a new chain and from your experience some new underwear and a backpack.
are you in the 909/951 area ?
I'll 2nd that... HOLY CRAP! It's amazing you kept it upright! Definately time for some new underwear...

jayden 02-20-2006 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bluebird

[sm=jawdrop.gif] That is crazy! Glad you managed to keep it upright and get off the road! But just out of curiosity - was the sweatshirt on the bike with you or was it laying on the road?

Hope you get her all fixed up soon!

i was wondering the same thing about the shirt. How did you manage that?

Vasmel22 02-20-2006 08:20 PM

I am gald to see you pics.....[sm=happybounce.gif]..... I am still in amaizment that you are ok and you did not drop your bike. God was on your side..... Glad to see sizzers are working.. LOL I hope it does not cost too much to get your toy back on the road.

[sm=gears.gif]

Quicke 02-20-2006 08:40 PM

I don't have a stand so I'll have to figure something out for the back tire. I'll be cutting some more out today sometime if I can get a chance to get out there. I had the sweatshirt in the elastic area of my backpack to answer the questions of where it came from. There are some small spaces on the side where I guess it started to fall out and hang down by the chain. I can only imagine what the person in the car behind me was thinking seeing the thing hanging from my backpack. They sure didn't give me any warning. They must have wanted to see what would happen. Anyways I'll have some more pics when I get the rest cut away. Oh I'll probably need help getting the tire off since I don't know how to do that.

thx.

Zbike 02-24-2006 08:58 PM

Wow, that was a good save. Of course, luck is a great thing:) Glad your ok. It might not be as bad as you might think. I would use some car stands if you dont have a bike stand.

sikanimator 02-25-2006 06:19 AM

Wow! Man that sucks but you really, really lucked out. A spill at 75 with the rear locked up ....man that could have been ugly.

Good luck with it.

If you decide you need sprockets and a chain let me know. I can hook you up pretty cheap.

J.T.
Chromewhore.com

Quicke 02-26-2006 01:06 AM

The hook up would be nice. The front sprocket looks pretty nasty now that some of the sweater has been removed. There is a square piece that is pretty chewed up too. Won't know about the chain until I can get it off. Not quite sure how to do that but am learning as I go. I'll have some more pics later.

evil636 02-26-2006 01:37 AM

just cut it off with whatever you have thast will cut it, your going to need a new one anyway.

Notstock 02-26-2006 05:54 AM

Hey bro that is not as bad as you may think. Just start getting it out of the front and take apart what you can. As far as disassembly, it is not that hard, just take some pictures for your self as you go and it will be easy.
If your in riverside go over to Chaparral Motor Sports in San Bernardino and you will have no problem finding a rear stand it will be needed for the rest of the time you have your bike. Get one with that uses swing arm spools they are more sturdy. Should cost about 75.00.

Glad you mad it too bro and welcome to KF

BTW he most likely mad it through the lock up because the rear stayed locked up until he stopped. If the rear wheel had of been able to start spinning again the outcome may have been much worse.

spooknick 03-04-2006 11:30 PM

Sorry to hear bout your accident and your bike but least your body id in one condition