New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Newbie from NJ

Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Default Newbie from NJ

Hello,
I am a new member from New Jersey. I am 17 and I have started saving money by working and hopefully by the summer I can buy a Ninja 250R. I have been researching for a while and this seems to be one of the best bikes for beginners. Would you guys suggest this bike to a beginner? One big question I have may need to be answered by someone who lives in New Jersey but I guess it could be answered from someone with the same problem. See I don't know anyone that has a motorcycle so how could I get my pratice riding time so I can get my license? That is really the biggest dilemma I have. One last thing; I see that they have changed the 08 model a lot. I've been on the 07 model and it feels very comfortable to sit in. Will the new model be as comfortable or more so?
Thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Newbie from NJ

I don't know much about that bike, but a smaller engine is definately good for starting out. I'd actually suggest buying something used. Starting out on a new bike would've sucked for me because I did all the stupid things like dropping it from standing, forgetting the kickstand, etc and finally dumping it into an unridable state. But I didn't much care. It cost me 1500 bucks and I was just fine with it. Had 3 years of riding it before I did it so I got my money's worth. No need for full coverage, paid cash. It's just alot easier for a first bike to be used.

As for the second point. I had the same problem. I just rode solo with my permit, even though I was supposed to ride with someone else. I know it's not the legal way to go, but I had to get my practice in. I did get pulled over once, but the cop was nice and just followed me home when he could've easily taken my bike away and given me some nasty tickets. Don't expect that kind of leniency, though. Just be wise about where and when you ride.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh! And welcome to KF!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.
Most people will not be sitting on an '08 until around the first week of Dec.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome and good luck with finding a bike. Maybe try something a few years older and cheaper till you get your feet wet. Although the 08 are alot nicer than the previous yearsyou won't be so bummed if you drop it.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, and all of the above seems like good advice

Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I would take the permit test, then take the MSF Course. That way, as soon as you graduate the class, you won't have to even take the license test. It's going to help you out with the whole "surviving the concrete jungle" aspect of riding as well.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, and welcome to the KF Family!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM

welcome!

Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums. you cant go wrong with the 250