New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New rider.. finally! New problem too.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New rider.. finally! New problem too.

It's been a long time coming. I've wanted a street bike forever and I finally got one! I used to ride dirtbikes as a kid and it was the most fun part of my childhood. As the weather began to warm up I began to search for a bike like I've done for the past few years. I heard a kawasaki commercial and went to kaw.com and that's when I saw the right bike for me in the right price range. The Ninja 250R. Wow! That's all I need. I have an awsome 35 mile commute to work through western loudoun county in VA and can't wait to get going. I checked out a local dealer and I was going to be 8th on the list. I went elsewhere. This time I would have to wait until July (maybe June the guy said) for a red one (black was my first color choice but they were already taken). As luck would have it I got a call a week later from the dealer telling me he had a black one ready to be picked up. Two people had flaked out and I was next in line. I just picked it up Monday and have been getting used to it since Tuesday riding around my neighborhood.
I couldn't be happier except I noticed that I can't shift into 4th gear. I was going about 40mph and needed to shift but it's like shifter is stuck.I called the dealer and they acted like I wasn't going fast enough but I was around 5000 RPM's and could hear it was ready to be shifted. I don't want to push the bike past the recommended 4000 RPM's for the first 500 miles. Anyone heard of this before?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New rider.. finally! New problem too.

Welcome, hmm? no idea but you might want to check the 250R thread for starters. Congrats and good luck with your new toy.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF!!

i'm not too far from ya! i ride alot in winchester..

as far as your trans.. that thing should drop right into gear at almost any rpm and speed.. i'm not sure thats entirely correct... you get it from loudon co. powersports? they're a lil shady at times.. my boy used to work for them..

it's actually good to push the bike into the revs before the 500 mile mark.. the harder the load, the faster and better the rings seat.. i'm not talkin speed racer type all the time hardcore accelleration, but just roll on it to about 6 or 8 grand in an upper ear, then let off, and don't pull the clutch in and coast.. let the engine braking suck out the filings from the rings from inside the cylinder bore.

thinkin on that trans.. hmm.. maybe i can meet ya somewhere in Va? look at that thing.. i dunnoo..

got alot of ppl i ride ith here, there, and everywhere, so regardless, lemme know if you wanna battle some badass twisties with about 15 other ppl..

Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the site, have fun and keep it real.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

like whitey said - more importantly than staying below 5000 is to vary the rpm a lot and let the engine brake rather than coasting. proven more reliable break in method. and almost nobody can stick to the 5000rpm rule because the 250 needs to rev higher than that to ride ont he highway

Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, WH. I didn't get it from LCPS I got it in Berkeley Springs, WV (Ridersville Cycle). Thanks for the headsup about them though, I think I'm gonna take it to Twigg Cycles up in Haggerstown, MD I got all my gear over there or Frederick, MD those guys seemed cool. I called Ridersville and the service guy said I might not have been going fast enough to switch gears but to bring it in if I keep having the same problem. I'll keep you all informed on this.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I couldn't be happier except I noticed that I can't shift into 4th gear.
Use the clutch! lol Welcome to KF

Old 05-10-2008, 10:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the KF family, and to the streetbike world. The addiction has begun!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ijiggled the shifter back and forth with my hand and maybe I loosened it up or something because I took it out yesterday and it shifted through all gears fine.... Let the hazing begin.

Quick Reply: New rider.. finally! New problem too.