New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to motorcycles in General :) Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Default New to motorcycles in General :) Need some help

Hey everyone

I'm currently 15yrs old, turning 16 in early october, and I am looking to get a motorcycle rather than a car to get around since gas is so high at the moment. I've been looking between Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki bikes and to be honest the Kawasaki's are just sticking to me like glue... everytime I compare a ninja to a GSX for FZ6 it just seems obvious to go for the ninja

But anyways, with that said I need some help... I'm trying to decide between the 08' and the 09' model of the Ninja 650r and it's killing me. I like to be the person with the newest and best thing but right now I'm so eager to get up and going I don't know if I can wait 3 months for a bike.

So what do you guy's suggest I do? Should I get an 08' model now or should I wait and get an 09'? What are the big differences between the two?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

So the KLX is not on your short list?.........hmmmmm ok, well I can't help you there young Jedi, but I can say one thing. Welcome to the forums. Oh and I only had to wait for about a month when I ordered my new bike almost 3 years ago, and even that was brutal. Hang in there.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by deej
So the KLX is not on your short list?.........hmmmmm ok, well I can't help you there young Jedi, but I can say one thing. Welcome to the forums. Oh and I only had to wait for about a month when I ordered my new bike almost 3 years ago, and even that was brutal. Hang in there.
Whats the KLX?

And thanks for the welcome lol this seems like a pretty nice forums so i'll probably be on rummaging through posts daily, looking forward to getting to know you and the rest of the community better =]

Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IllegalDamage
Whats the KLX?
HAHAHAHAHA

oh god, youre in for it now new guy

Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

What's a KLX? You're kidding right? OMG!!!

2009 in green...

2009 in red

It's the best of both worlds. Come on man you know you want to do it.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:51 AM

Haha it looks nice but I'm not really for the dirt bike thing atm I'll be riding it to school and that's not exactly something I'd look good riding in on lol I'll definitely consider it as a future purchase for the mountains though I can only imagine what it can do

Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually that's where you are mistaken. How cool would it be to ride up on a dual sport. Man I wish I could go back in time with my 2006 KLX to 1981 and ride that bad machine into the parking lot at school.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I know you are all excited about a brand new motorcycle. But this being your first, I wouldn't buy brand new. It's going to go down. Either by dropping it or God forbid, you crash. Banging up a 2-3 year old bike won't hurt the pride, ego, and wallet as much as buying new plastics for a new 250.

Pick up something a little older, ride it for a year or 2, sell it for close to what you paid for it and then get what you want.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

16 years old on a new 650? Not a good idea.

Get a 250. You'll learn a lot more, learn it quicker, and improve your chances of survival.

Get a used one. You don't know how to break in a new bike. You don't want to take a big financial hit when you drop it. You need to learn a bit about bikes. One without a warranty will encourage you to fix things for yourself.

You're starting on a new experience that might last your life time. Spend a little time sublimating your ego and prepare for that lifetime properly. If you don't, it might be rather shorter than you expect it to be.

Rob

Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevyzToy
Pick up something a little older, ride it for a year or 2, sell it for close to what you paid for it and then get what you want.
thats what I did - best decision i ever made.

infact i still love riding my 13 year old bike

Quick Reply: New to motorcycles in General :) Need some help