New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New Here, and New to Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Default New Here, and New to Riding

Hello all,
Just figured I'd post here and tell a little about myself. My names Kyle, I'm from New York State and finally decided it was time to start saving up some money for a first bike.

My friend has a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R and I plan on following that route and getting one, most likely around next Spring. I know nothing about bikes really, just the basics.

How I got involved in bikes was by my dad. He started riding when he was 15 years old (Dirt bikes) and then rode all his life. Amazingly he never dropped any road bike, no accidents...etc. When I was old enough to ride as his passenger, he owned numerous Harley Davidson's, we went to Americade..etc and I had the time of my life. When I was about 11 years old he sold off his last Harley and that was that.

When I turned 16, I decided to go into car modding and forget a bike, bought a brand new car and dumped all my paychecks into it. Well, I am now 19 and love to cruise around with friends, but it's gotten a bit boring when your in a car so I decided to begin saving for what I've wanted practically all my life; a motorcycle.

My friends who do ride have high powered bikes, I am not about all that, hence a 250cc will suite me well for quite some time. I want one to just enjoy riding, drive around town...etc, not for speed.

Good Day

Old 07-27-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome
you might wanna check out some other bikes before you buy a new 250 and get bored of it fast. just a thought

Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Any beginner bikes you'd recommend?

As I said, mainly it's for cruising around town, nothing for power, just for the joy of riding, hence the reason I feel that the 250R would fit my needs just fine, or for at least 2 seasons worth.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

well..every rider is different. i started on a 500. which in my opinion is a great starter bike..some believe the 250 is. its not a super sport. its mainly just for cruising around. but the only thing is that the 500 doesnt look as good as the 08 250. but my friend just got a 250 and hes bored of it already. just a heads up. do what you want though

Old 07-27-2008, 04:41 PM

Yeah it's this whole different rider situation that gets me confused as to what I would want. I am gonna see if my friend will teach me on his 250 and see how I like it.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

it really depends on what you're after...if I could handle a bigger bike I probably would...but I just have problems getting them around...My first was an 04' 250 and I just got an 08' 250...they're a good fit for me...but every now and then you really wish you had more power....but overall I'm really happy with the bike! Good luck

Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by KawiGreen250Chick
it really depends on what you're after...if I could handle a bigger bike I probably would...but I just have problems getting them around...My first was an 04' 250 and I just got an 08' 250...they're a good fit for me...but every now and then you really wish you had more power....but overall I'm really happy with the bike! Good luck
Well I am a bigger guy, 6 Foot, 220lb's.

What about a 650R? Is that jumping a bit too far in as a first bike?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

welll...go check some out...sit on em. get the feel for the weight/height of the bike. see if your friend will teach you. if hes got a brand new bike he might be skeptical. see if someone you know has an older bike that you can learn on. but for me..with my 500 i kinda want something bigger, but thats just me.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

im looking at getting a 650 right now. its a good bike from what i hear..its not supersport so its not gonna take off like a rocket but its got speed and agility and you most likely wont get bored of it

Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 PM

Yeah, I've been reading around, people say its a good starter bike if you know how to hold your own and not get on it, but don't have the super sport seat positioning so it'll be a more comfortable ride.

Sounds exactly what I am looking for, I'll have to take a ride to the dealer this coming week and check it out. They seem to be relatively closer to a 250 cost as well if you buy used.

Quick Reply: New Here, and New to Riding