New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

new guy- 2006 klx 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Default new guy- 2006 klx 250

Hello all,
thank you for the acceptance.

I picked up a klx250 that's been sitting for some time. Not running.
It has from, what I can see, procircut slip on (not sure what type of header pipe is on) and aftermarket air filter (no lid on air box). I'm not sure if there is a jetting kit for the carb (stock carb).
I took the carb out cleaned it, new plug, oil, and fresh fuel.
bike starts with choke papartial and all the way out but once choke is released the bike dies. I am at sea level in tropical environment.

tips or suggestion?
What setting should I put the air/fuel screw at?

Will a jetting kit help fix this issue?

Does the klx 300 jet kit also work for this model?
Thank you in advanced.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.
Send us a picture of the header if you can and someone here should probably be able to identify.

Did you look at jet numbers when you had the carb apart? How about the needle? Was it adjustable with a clip, or non-adjustable?

It sounds like you likely still have a plugged pilot jet and/or the fuel screw is way off (too far in). Will it run without choke if you turn the idle up a bit? I'd say just replace the pilot jet. You may be able to clean it, but they are inexpensive and a new clean one is a good place to start. Stock is #35, but at sea level it seems a lot of riders like a #38. Some even a #40.

Will it run if you're revving the throttle when the choke is turned off?

Is the cap removed from the fuel screw? As stock, there's a cap that prevents adjustment and it must be removed. Adjustment is individual and the best high idle should be between 1 and 3 turns out. Many stock bikes are lean at only a turn or so out and going to 2 turns out often helps. Do a little research on tuning a CVK carb's pilot (and other) circuit. Search this thread for Care and Feeding of the CVK Carb. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

A jet "kit" should not help fix the issue if its a pilot jet problem because kits I'm aware of don't come with a pilot jet.

Yes, the 300 jet kit (dynojet #2206) will work. It's the one I used before going to the pumper carb. However, a number of owners go with stock Kaw N1TC needle and jets.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-07-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a link in my signature to a copy of the cheap mods including the KLX300 stuff. My brother used the jetting and all in his 06

Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM

OK. I'll post up a pic as soon as I can.

I didn't look at the jet numbers. I will open it up and check again.
The needle is non-adjustable.

When I got home today from work I figured I'd give it another shot to try and get it running. I did have to hold choke slightly to keep it running and warm up a little. So it finally stayed on. But when I gave it a little throttle it would bog until I held a higher rpm, while running a little rough, then slowly cleared up. Then I let it sit at idle for a min before I took it for a spin back and forth in front of my house. It died as I was riding it, had to choke a couple times to start, then it started for a min then died again. After wouldnt start at all. So I took apart the carb did my best to try and clean it out, drained the tank and added new fuel, and now it still won't start with and without choke and with starting fluid. I appreciate the share of knowledge. I am pretty stumped at the moment as to what the issue might be. My drz400sm sat for over 2 years and I didn't have this much of a hard time with getting the thing running. Btw, the klx sat for about 6 months.

How many turns out do you suggest for air /fuel screw? (Which I did remove plug from)

Also, is it possible to delete any hoses from that carb vacuum line? (Replaced a couple due to cracks)

Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Non-adjustable needle is probably stock.
Two turns out from lightly seated is a fair place to start on the fuel screw.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 671brandon
OK. I'll post up a pic as soon as I can.

I didn't look at the jet numbers. I will open it up and check again.
The needle is non-adjustable.

When I got home today from work I figured I'd give it another shot to try and get it running. I did have to hold choke slightly to keep it running and warm up a little. So it finally stayed on. But when I gave it a little throttle it would bog until I held a higher rpm, while running a little rough, then slowly cleared up. Then I let it sit at idle for a min before I took it for a spin back and forth in front of my house. It died as I was riding it, had to choke a couple times to start, then it started for a min then died again. After wouldnt start at all. So I took apart the carb did my best to try and clean it out, drained the tank and added new fuel, and now it still won't start with and without choke and with starting fluid. I appreciate the share of knowledge. I am pretty stumped at the moment as to what the issue might be. My drz400sm sat for over 2 years and I didn't have this much of a hard time with getting the thing running. Btw, the klx sat for about 6 months.

How many turns out do you suggest for air /fuel screw? (Which I did remove plug from)

Also, is it possible to delete any hoses from that carb vacuum line? (Replaced a couple due to cracks)

First, your having to play with the choke and the bike running if you blip it up tells me your pilot circuit is still at least partially clogged up - not enough gas getting through. The choke is compensating for it. If you get the revs high enough to hit the slide/needle for fueling, it will run from there on up to full throttle. This is a characteristic I've seen over and over on NOS bikes (the old stock in the crate bikes over a year or two old) and bikes that have been sitting over a winter or more.

That said, from my experience being around the motorcycle shop for around 22 years and seeing what I speak of transpiring in the parts/shop, I heartily recommend you tear down the carb, then take the body to either a bike shop or car shop that has a carb washer or ultrasonic cleaner to get the carb cleaned. Crud and varnish (or whatever that crud is) from dried out gas gums up the small jet passages for the idle circuit and other passages. Spraying cleaner and using air to blow them out is totally hit and miss. It shouldn't cost much, since it is not labor intensive. They toss it in, wash it out, rinse it off.

After you get it cleaned, get the necessary jetting for a KLX300 and follow the instructions in the cheap mods (documented in my sig) or blow the big bucks on a jet kit and rebuild the carb. The stock pilot is too lean as is most of the rest of the stock stuff. My brother did his 06 and I did my 09 using the cheap mods jetting, plus adding a Dial-A-Jet to smooth the over all response, which it did.

My brother's bike runs out well with the exact stuff in the cheap hop ups, except he did a KLX300 head pipe and muffler instead of a slip on. Mine still runs the stock pipe. He has never complained of any sort of starting or running issues.

I did the Marcelino cam timing mod and disabled the compression release. I don't know how my brothers bike starts, but mine starts near instantly without any problems. In 50 degree weather it starts and rides off near instantly, choke is off within less than a minute. In warmer weather the choke is off within 15 seconds.

Last edited by klx678; 01-10-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:55 AM
Default @klx678

Thank you for your help. I have ordered a specific jetting kit that was customized to my bike altitude a and riding conditions,includes pilot jet. I am getting ready to pull out the carb and try to clean it or have it cleaned. I was also told by a friend to polish float needle and is port to prevent it from getting stuck.

I'll follow up once I have tried you suggestions.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! And of course you got the best KLX year ever made.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Default update

Hey all! T thank you for your help. Carb was all stock. So my jetting kit came in and it included a larger pilot. So i disassembled the carb got some CLR cleaning solution (suggestion from a local tech here), some carb cleaner and some small brushes. Followed instructions on kit after I gave bare carb some tlc and now bike runs super! Drilled the extra hole in carb slide, cut the spring, and now I have a crisp running klx! Original jets were massively clogged but I cleaned them and stored them. The difference in the bike is awesome. And I don't need to pull choke to start. Not even on a cold start.

Any suggestions for tightening suspension?
Got some excels with street tires (sm junky here). Mostly street driven.