New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to bikes and this forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I knew less than nothing when I started. Taking the MSF course taught me a lot about control of the bike. You also learn some ways to keep yourself safe before you even get roll out by making sure the bike is in road-safe condition (it blows standing on the side of the road with a broken down bike waiting for a friend with a truck in summer heat). After the MSF course, I started reading everything I could get my hands on teaching me about practical ways to keep myself safe because let's face it; when you're on two wheels with gear (which is ALWAYS recommended no matter the nuisance) and there are God-knows how many people riding around you in vehicles that are 10X heaver than yours on cell phones, dealing with screaming children, just generally hate bikers, etc., you want everything in your favor that you can get. Immerse yourself with people that are willing to gently criticize and help you learn without making you feel like **** for not knowing everything. Beyond that, admit when you're out of your skill range. Stupid HURTS.

That's my novel for the day

Old 02-02-2009, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

For the States, the 250 is the perfect first bike. You don;'t learn properly on anything any bigger, despite what you might see posted to the contrary, and it encourages you to learn how to get he best out of it. It's more than capable of staying with traffic at highway speeds and is much more fun than bigger bikes.

Keep it for a couple of years and plan on doing about 20,000 miles before going up a size.

Service intervals vary according to the bike, but on a newish 4-stroke proper service is moving to about every 10,000 miles, with one or two inspection services, which you can easily do yourself, in between. Chains last for about 30,000 miles if they're properly looked after, and tyres between about 5,000 and 10,000. Fronts tend to last a bit longer than rear tyres. Learn to do the basic servicing, daily checks and things like chain adjustment yourself. It isn't difficult Fit a ScottOiler to look after chain lubrication.

Wear jacket (textile with built in impact armour is most comfortable and practlcal), helmet, gloves and proper motorcycle boots at all times. Other protective gear is less essential if you're happy with some degree of risk.

If your bike is faired, fit frame sliders to give some protection to the bodywork when you drop the bike through stalling or forgetting the kick stand - we all do it at times.

Do an MSF course.

Rob

Old 02-05-2009, 06:52 PM

alright so I shouldn't be concerned if I crash the bike then? I haven't seen anything real cheap by me. I have seen some older 250's but truly I hate the old Bikes what was the price u paid for your first bike?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Nips, even with frame sliders, if you drop your bike you will get some damage, so try not to drop it. Get a Ninja 250 and just take your time, and ride the backroads after you take the MSF course. Ride until the bike feels like part of you, and beleive me you will know when that happens.
Good luck getting your new bike, and ride safe buddy!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 AM

Thank you, I am gonna take the course in late march when snow is most likely gone. and I hope to have my bike in April