New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

n00b in VA... riding advice requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Default n00b in VA... riding advice requested

1. What is your first name (or middle name)? Joel, aka "Squirrel"
2. When's your birthday (year if you want to include it)? 02-17-83
3. What do you do for a living? total loss insurance adjuster (cars and bikes)
4. Married or Single? single
5. Favorite ice cream? chocolate peanut butter
6. Coffee or tea? coffee
7. If you are old enough....what is your favorite "drink"? hard cider
8. What is your favorite color? electric blue
9. Who is your favorite band / favorite CD? Death Cab for Cutie
10. What is your favorite movie? InitialD
11. What is your favorite TV show? The Office and Family Guy
12. Any pets, if yes, what? none
13. What other hobbies are you into? pool, autocrossing, gun range (Springfield XD9)
14. What was your first bike? none yet...
15. Who or what inspired you to ride? 5 minutes on a Honda VTR 250
16. How long have you been riding? 3 months on dirtbikes

===========================

Hey everyone, I am very interested in getting my first motorcycle soon, so I thought I would check out the forums and spend some time here before I make a purchase.

I own a Mazda Miata, so I already know that I love the open air. I spend most of my time "driving as if I am invisible," almost like we have to do on motorcycles. It's amazing how many people try to run you over in a small car!

I have always wanted a bike, and have spent some time learning about it. I read through "Proficient Motorcycling" already, that was very informative. I understand the value of good safety equipment, taking an MSF course, looking ahead, seeing things before they happen, riding as if invisible, etc. I have also spent a few afternoons on dirtbikes, so I am comfortable with the basic mechanics of riding.

I want to get a Ninja 250 or 500 as my first bike. I think the 250 would be better to learn on, but I know that if I got the 500 I would probably be satisfied with it for a longer time. I am really leaning towards the 250, mainly because I am already a small guy (150 lbs) and a nimble bike would just be ripping good fun. I love my Miata, and I think the 250 is like the Miata of bikes!

My main n00b question is about my first few weeks of riding. I do not plan to use my bike to commute to work right away, because of the risk of traffic. I need to get comfortable with my reflexes before I spend time around traffic. I want to select the safest times to ride, even if I have nowhere to go, in order to reduce the risk of having an accident with another driver. I have thought about going out late, like 10-11pm, since the roads are mostly empty by then where I live. But then you have to factor in drunk drivers. I work about 7-4pm, M-F. Any suggestions on this?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: n00b in VA... riding advice requested

welcome to KF

Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, and like you said and I will echo here, take the MSF class, my wife learned more than I could ever teach her. In fact she corrects me from time to time, and I listen. The class is designed to keep you alive, and lets face it living is way better than not. Have fun Squirrel.[8D]

Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums squirrel

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome - what part of VA are you from?
imo the best times to ride based on your schedule is during dinner time - 6-8pm, however depending on time of year and location you may have to worry about glare from the setting sun blinding cagers so they don't see you.

if you take the MSF course and try to base your ride not necessarily on time of day but the area you ride in (staying away form heavy stop and go traffic even though that is also good practice)

there really is no avoiding traffic when you live so close to it. just get out there and be careful.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome also. like everything, you get better the more and more you ride.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the advice on choosing a low-traffic location, versus a low-traffic time of day. I think I will scour the county and find fun places to ride safely.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

have fun

Old 03-19-2008, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

First off, welcome to the forums.

I bought a KLX250 last year as my first bike. I love it and plan on going trail riding a lot this year. In November, I bought a ZZR600 as my first street bike. I am trying to do the same thing as you with traffic and times etc... Last week I took it out for the first time planning on just going aroung the neighborhood and ended up putting on 35 miles as the bike was so easy to ride. I hadn't planned on seeing any type of a highway for a while but took it when I came up to it. There was not much traffic and it turned out to be an awesome first ride. The bike does have crazy power but it easliy ridable. And knowing what the bike can do, makes me respect it and yes, somewhat fear it which I feel is a good thing. For me, this 600 is an awesome first street bike.

I ride, and drive, like everyone is out to get me. It works for me. Someone here wrote that if you watch people in thier cars, you can tell what they are going to do before it happens. This is true. I was coming down a 4 lane road in the inside lane. There was a woman waiting to take a left coming the other direction and I had the sun heavy at my back. I watched her knowing that the sun was in her eyes as I figured, I saw her move her hand on the wheel and I grabbed the brakes as she started to pull in fromt of me and then saw me at the last second. I would have been able to stop with no problem as I was ready for her to go.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 AM

Welcome to KF the only thing i'll say is AWAYS respect your bike regardless of size,if you don't she'll hurt ya.[8D]

Quick Reply: n00b in VA... riding advice requested