New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Mean Streak hndlbar ? & newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Default Mean Streak hndlbar ? & newbie

Hi all! Newbie to Kawasaki world (coming from 14 years of Harley (still have my FLS in garage, probably will sell depending on my "short-term" experiences with my 2002 Mean Streak)).

The original owner (6'4") of my 2002 1500 Mean Streak made a few mods, one of which was replacing the stock handlebars with one that is a bit further out (towards front tire) than I would like. My 5'7" frame find reaching out to the grips isn't very comfortable and certainly won't make the bike comfortable for the longer trips I plan to take.

The way I measure it (from front of bar to handlebar tips), I see 4" of pull back. Ideally I would like 6 to 8" of pull back. I've looked around (web) and checked with the local Kawi dealer (not too knowledgable or I didn't ask the right questions).

Normally I would just add a set of risers, but since these are welded T bars, that isn't an option.

Can anyone suggest options?

I figure two options I have are to either try the original handlebar (how much pull back though?) or replace what I have with a set of risers and a handlebar (something I would rather not do because I like the clean look of a welded T).

Can anyone tell me what the pull-back measurement is of the stock handlebars - OR - please let me know where the handlebars come in relation to the tank (maybe use center console for gauge (i.e., drawing a line from the end of one grip to the other and drawing an imaginary line across the tank puts them about even with the key switch)).

Or other possible alternatives?!

TIA

- Matt

[IMG]local://upfiles/157/7FA544C6BCE640A9A2F209FCF353019E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mean Streak hndlbar ? & newbie

WOW! That is one nice lookin bike! Welcome to the site Matt!

I would think that someone at a Kawi dealer would be able to help you, maybe they need to see the bike to understand what you need done. If I come across something, I'll pass it on to you.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mean Streak handlebars ? & newbie

first off welcome to the forums..

one of the guys I work with a guy who has a mean streak
I am 5'6' and he has the stock bars on the bike. They work great for me. I'm not over stretched. and I'm not cramped either!!

I bet you can find a set of stockers on ebay for cheep money !!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:27 AM

Thanks for comments/suggestions. I am off deeper in the forums to the Mean Streak area. Didn't see anything on e-bay and didn't want to go with handlebars seperate from risers (two components) vs. the one I had, so I ordered a set of stock handlebars and what a difference! Starting to look at adding some chrome, but first want to get a bit more acceleration off the line. After some consideration and input from an individual from another forum, thinking about Thunder Air kit, power commander and dyno. After that, I think I should be coming off the line and through the low end a bit faster than I am now.

I have to say, I've loved my Harleys and am not yet sold on this bikes looks, but I've never ridden a better cornering, sounding (bub pipes) bike and on top of that, it is comfortable for several hundred mile rides! I've seen some custom parts and have some ideas, so who knows, instead of the bike I hate to love, it may turn into a bike that I can't stand to be without (kind of like my 83 FXR, but only better!) :-D

O, btw, I've put over 3k purely recreational miles on the meanie this year. For NH, and me a "non-commuter" and old man (44) to boot, I am pretty happy with that!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I know what you're saying about 'purely recreational miles', I work 40 hours a week, have a soon to be four year old and I still managed to put on 1400 km so far this season. I hope to put on 2000 km before I have to put her away for the year!!!!