New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking into getting a bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Default Looking into getting a bike

Hey all,

So I'm looking into getting a bike. I'm 19 and in college. My commute is about 70 miles each way to college every day. I drive a decently fuel efficient car, but i still only get about 25 MPG so I'm spending like $65+ a week just on gas. The commute is also incredibly boring, and I'm going through withdrawls after selling my dirtbike a few years ago.

I grew up on dirtbikes so I have the whole premise down. I want to liven up my commute a bit, but I've also had some bad experiences on dirt bikes (big scar on back) so I'm just looking into something fun, but not overly powerful. I've been checking out the Ninja 250. I have a local one for sale here, 2007 with 1800 miles @ $2750.

The bad part is, the owner won't let me drive it because he's afraid I'll drop it. I went to a local dealership for bikes and they won't let me ride any either without signing crap, but their bikes are all heavily overpriced. Anyways, I'll keep working at the private owner and see if we can work something out.

Any comments would be appreciated, whether it be on the bike or a new driver.

Look forward to meeting you all [8D]

Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looking into getting a bike

Welcome to KF

Do not push the EX250 owner too much, a good swift kick in **** may happen or at the worst, nothing happens at all. Good luck and again welcome

Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome and as much as it pains me to say this, I was going to say get a KLX, you know the best of both worlds, because you are riding the streets and have owned a dirt bike, but that commute is too far for the KLX every day. I would look at the KLR 650 or even the Ninja 500. But you gotta admit, the KLX is a beautiful thing...am I right?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: deej

Welcome and as much as it pains me to say this, I was going to say get a KLX, you know the best of both worlds, because you are riding the streets and have owned a dirt bike, but that commute is too far for the KLX every day. I would look at the KLR 650 or even the Ninja 500. But you gotta admit, the KLX is a beautiful thing...am I right?
I gotta admit, I have no idea what you're talking about I'm very much into the car scene, but I just decided to start looking into getting a bike within an hour of making that post. I jut really miss riding my dirt bike.

I was looking at the 250 because it's very cheap (Initially I wanted a Honda CBR since I'm a Honda lover, but they're entirely too fast and expensive), I'm assuming gets pretty good gas mileage, and it runs the 1/4 mile at about the same time my car does, so I know it won't be too fast or too slow. Just right for a newb like me :P

Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

(Initially I wanted a Honda CBR since I'm a Honda lover, but they're entirely too fast and expensive),
hahaha, ouch, and bending my arm will not sway me from my zx's. All a comfort thing man which leads to being fast.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

(Initially I wanted a Honda CBR since I'm a Honda lover, but they're entirely too fast and expensive),
hahaha, ouch, and bending my arm will not sway me from my zx's. All a comfort thing man which leads to being fast.
Haha sorry man. I drive a 2007 Honda Civic SI, everyone in my family drives some variant of a Honda. I just like the reliability they offer. Too bad the CBR I was looking at was like triple the price of the Kawasaki! Luckly, Kawasaki has always been my favorite brand of bike makers so that's good.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elohel

I gotta admit, I have no idea what you're talking about
ROTFLMFAO!!! That's the best comeback to the deej "You should really think about buying a KLX" tactic I've heard thus far!!![sm=smiley20.gif] Bravo elohel!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

the 250 will give the best milage - the 500 would give good milage (55mpg i believe) and have a little better weight highway/traffic/crosswinds and more scoot for passing etc.

both can be had used for less than 3000 usually. heck i bought my zx6r for 2100 - check craigslist.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

ORIGINAL: elohel

I gotta admit, I have no idea what you're talking about

Harsh......................................[8D]
ROTFLMFAO!!! That's the best comeback to the deej "You should really think about buying a KLX" tactic I've heard thus far!!![sm=smiley20.gif] Bravo elohel!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums

Quick Reply: Looking into getting a bike