New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Long post ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Default Long post ahead?

Hmm... Where to start. We will start with the basics. I am Arthur, I am a gear-head. I am huge Saturn nut, and rather enjoy them. Hence the screenname. My sl2 is a daily driven track car, full suspension, 10.2:1 comp, 4 wheel disc, 1997lb curb weight(gutted), fuel tuning via SAFC2... etc, etc, etc. Only has 128fwhp, but we know about power to weight ratio eh?

White bumper is from a track day event about 4 months ago. Tire barrier pulled it off for me. I was just shy of apex, when a Honda got into my rear passenger tire. Oversteer ensued, I ate the tires. Not hard thankfully, I pulled it out for the most part. I never actually made a contact with the tires, just pushed into them enough the friction pulled off the driver side of the bumper.

Track day form

Ok, Moving on from my obsession for slow and plastic cars. I had a 1994 Seca II for some time. Awesome first bike. I miss it. Actually traded it for another Saturn to daily drive to keep miles off the racecar. (And save it from further daily driven torture)

This brings me finally to why I am here. I have a 2001 ZX9r Engine/ harness/ and wrecked frame. The front half is good, so if anyone wants the seat bracket that connects to the frame, forks, front calipers, or front wheel, I have them. Wheel is red. No body tho I will be using the engine for a 500lb kit/ track car. I have a stupid simple idea. 2 wheels up front, one wheel out back. I will use Saturn components i have laying around for the front, and use the Ninja rear swingarm/ tire/ engine out back. One seat of course I dont know a whole lot about the bike. I dont even know what an unwrecked one looks like. But I do have some questions, for example, can the engine handle nitrous should I need it? Something small of course, 25 shot. 35 max. I am aware the bike has a fuel pump, so a wet shot is plausible. Oh wow, so many questions! Gearing, performance options, design. Jeez. List goes on. I am concerned about oversteer alot. The rear contact patch is tiny compared to the front. I will use softer springs and harder tires up front at first to avoid this, hopefully. Can the stock rear shock handle the additinal weight? I know is adjustable, but how much? I dont want to max out preload and still bottom out. I may need help sorting out this wiring harness as well, as the spark box (I know what it does) and another box I am confused about. Originally, the spark box wasnt grounded... interesting. And some wires are clipped, because after the bike was dropped, the owner attempting to make it a track bike, thus clipping off all "unnessecary weight." Anyway, enough for now. I hope to learn a ton about the little 150lb 120+hp wonder and soon hope to have a "car" that will turn more than heads!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Long post ahead?

wicked saturn man! Welcome to the forums anyway, good luck with wrecked zx9...

Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF! The 9r engine is a tough and reliable engine from what I have seen. Have fun.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Two tires in front and one in back? What kind of steering are you planning? Is this going to be some kind of car front end?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 AM

I plan on using a 2:1 rack and pinion. This one to be exact, in the 14" variety- http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/...amp;pinion.htm. I will basically use a Saturn front end, with custom A-arms, adjustable coilovers, and the Kawa rear end. I will call it the Hammerhead, because if you look at the car top down, it looks like a hammerhead shark. lol. I have a long road ahead, but I am sure it will be a blast!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your making your own T-REX,just a lot cheaper than buying one.If you don't know what a T-REX is google it and you'll see

Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 AM

I suppose I am! lol. I didnt even know that it existed. I know Mercedes had a concept car, with a 1.8L engine, and 3 wheels. Oh well, I am using Saturn parts. Does that make it unique enough? lol.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forums, would like to see the outcome of the zxsaturn when its done

Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the KF family. Sounds like a hell of an undertaking. Keep us posted.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

good luck on your project . welcome to KF

Quick Reply: Long post ahead?