New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Help! 05 KX250 2 stroke need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Default Help! 05 KX250 2 stroke need help!!

Hi all!

New to the forum. i have a 2 stroke and brought it to a mechanic for what i thought was jetting problems. When i got it back there was a horrible tick coming from the engine!! mechanic ( at reputible bike shop in town) explained that it had nothing to do with what he did and that it is a 2 stroke and i should get used to these things happening !! he thought it was piston slap! if it was piston slap would it just all of a sudden start happening or would you hear a small tick coming on first then the loud noise i am hearing ?

Also is this something a somewhat newbie could fix with a repair manual and some elbow grease ?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Badman, be glad to help if we can. Welcome to the forums, BTW.
What did the mechanic do (aside from "ticking you off.") You're exactly right; 2_smokers don't tick; time bombs do.
Give us as many details as possible, and yes; I think you can probably fix it if you have basic tools.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 AM

All the mechanic did was take the carb apart he said he found a bit of water and drained the float bowl. cleaned everything and put it back together. after i picked it up i asked about the the banging and he checked the reeds but everything was fine ! thats when he said it was probably piston slap. no noise going in banging coming out !!

Thanks for your quick reply by the way much appreciated !!!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Does it make the noise at idle and subside when you drive it? My KDX makes all sorts of racket...

Mike

Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 AM

ya it totally does!!! massive knocking but when im on throttle it doesn't make it anymore!!! but it just statred happening suddenly!!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sounds like a washer down the the cylinder or other debris. A 2 smoke does not knock normally. Time for a compression test to start with. I am not a mechanic, but that is what I would check firstly.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Badmankatink
ya it totally does!!! massive knocking but when im on throttle it doesn't make it anymore!!! but it just statred happening suddenly!!
It's what's affectionately known as the KIPS rattle and it's very common. My KDX has been at it ever since I bought it 3 years ago. I've had compression checks done on it and it's 'tip top'.

I was nervous about the noise too when I got the bike because my old air cooled KDX didn't have the rattle. But my '01 has kicked **** for three years running, rattle and all. Get a compression check. I'll get a video posted up on here of the running noise at idle from my KDX and you can compare it to your KX and see if it's the same.

Mike

Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. sounds like ur in good hands.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to this crazy place, glad you found us here. These guys will take care of you.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Badman

I just shot this vid. I wasn't sure if the 'rattle' would come through very well on my camera but it did. In fact the rattle came out loud and exagerated especially when the camera is close to the KIPS valve.

To all the 'greenies' out there, my 2 smoker doesn't produce this much smoke once it's fully warmed up. So don't have a conniption fit

Mike

Quick Reply: Help! 05 KX250 2 stroke need help!!