New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

First Kawasaki!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 07:01 PM
Default First Kawasaki!

Just wanted to give a short new member intro. I've owned, ridden, modded, or built just about every sport/race atv there is. I've rebuilt a few dirtbikes but never owned one (other than my 04 Suzuki RM 125 that was gifted to me and sitting in my shop begging me to take the time to rebuild it). I decided that with today's economy and the outrageous prices in the used market in general for MX/ATV, that I was going to purchase brand new instead of taking the gamble on a used bike. The last used bike I purchased was a '96 Yamaha Banshee that looked great on the outside. The guy I had purchased it from had started it before I arrived and didn't tell me. He had timed it just right so that when I got there the head and expansion chambers were outside temperature, but so that it wouldn't be a cold start and fired up first kick. I also made the mistake of not bringing a compression tester. Got it home and it took roughly 20 kicks to fire off. Pulled the cylinders to find that it was time for a top end, in addition to there being excessive play in the right-side crank rod. Ended up doing a 4mil build on it but all in all ended up being about 8k into a bike that was supposed to be ready to go.

Anyways, back to the topic. Of course, I wanted to go into a dealership and grab a 450 straight off the floor and then go out and crash it in about 30 minutes from being stupid. But current bike prices with the average dealer now adding on about another 3k from, "Freight, Assembly, Stock Fees, etc.." that was not an option. The 250 Motocross bikes aren't much different in that regard. Left me looking at the Air cooled 230 bikes and the Honda CRF250F. That left me kinda bummed because I knew the aftermarket limitations for the 230's. I also knew that if I got a 230 that I would very shortly after be looking for more power. So I wanted something kind of in between those air cooled bikes and a 250 motocross bike. That led me to the KLX300R. Honestly I had never considered a Kawasaki except for the old Tecate 3 or 4. It was still out of my price range but I was lucky enough to find a few dealers that still had new '22 models on the floor. Now 3 out of 4 dealers had the bike listed at roughly $4,800/$5,100 but after they tacked their fee's on I was getting quotes between $7,200/$7,400. But with the last dealer I called they gave me a quote of $6,000 out the door so I jumped on it.

Kinda contradicted myself because I know like I stated above that this bike isn't much better on aftermarket/mod support. But after alot of research I think I'll be able to get this bike where I want it so get ready for those annoying posts from me because I'm going to be one of those hard heads that throw $$ a bike that gets minimal gains from what you can do to it. But I have a master plan in place.

Either way, I love this thing!