New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

After nearly 20 years, I got another motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default After nearly 20 years, I got another motorcycle

I just purchased a 2012 KLX250S after nearly 20 years of not riding a motorcycle, so I am basically a re-newbie. Glad to be riding again.

I am a bit OCD about my property, and I noticed there is not much protecting the motor from rocks and the like that would be flung up at it. I would like to install a motorguard of some kind.

Question:

What is a good quality motorguard to install on this bike? Also, I think I may need a bike stand for working on it. What about a good quality easy to use bike stand?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF and congrats on the new ride.

Hit up the KLX section, both of your questions will be answered. Enjoy the new ride.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. It's called a sump guard, I can't help you the one I have is not made any more.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! You sound like me 5 years ago. 20+ years between bikes and I'm OCD as well. Lol. Utah skid plate is what I have. When I get back to the office I'll try and scare up a link that was 5 years ago. Not sure if they are still in business it if they make one for the 2012. Again welcome.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am learning to ride all over again. Mostly so far around the neighborhood to put a few miles on it for breakin and get used to riding.

I just got back from a short ride. My bike did something weird. I was infront of my house at a stop sign and I put the bike in neutral for a sec (as indicated by the neutral light) and to my surprise it jerked forward as I released the clutch as if it were in gear.

I got back to the garage and put it in neutral again to see if it would do it again, this time slowly releasing the clutch and it began to move forward.

Seems it does not want to go into neutral sometimes. What gives?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, to riding again, and to the KLX. My KLX was the first m/c after nearly 20 years away also. Fairly common story for us KLX riders. If you haven't found it yet, this part of the forum is probably the most active KLX forum around with lots of helpful folks KLX 250S - Kawasaki Forums

The Utah skid plate mentioned by Deej above is a common unit sold under several different names. Mine was by Moose but it sure looks identical. And I believe you can get them for the 2012 model. You can also look up Scorpion. They look nice, but are more $$.

Don't know what to tell you about neutral. I've never had that problem. Sometimes my bike doesn't like going easily from 2nd to 1st or v/v and I just got used to keeping pressure on the shifter as the clutch is let out. My old Kaw 750 LTD did the same thing, so just and old habit that was easy to pick back up.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackettle
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am learning to ride all over again. Mostly so far around the neighborhood to put a few miles on it for breakin and get used to riding.

I just got back from a short ride. My bike did something weird. I was infront of my house at a stop sign and I put the bike in neutral for a sec (as indicated by the neutral light) and to my surprise it jerked forward as I released the clutch as if it were in gear.

I got back to the garage and put it in neutral again to see if it would do it again, this time slowly releasing the clutch and it began to move forward.

Seems it does not want to go into neutral sometimes. What gives?
Sounds like the clutch needs an adjustment, hows the oil level?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

If you're in your 40's you'll fit right in with this group.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Whew!!!!! I got 2 more good years left.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Getting there... nearly 36 at present.

Quick Reply: After nearly 20 years, I got another motorcycle